question

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 asked

Schedule charging charge rate

Hi,

Is there a way to set the charge rate (drawn from grid) in ess schedule charging?

I want to charge eV and recharge batteries during low tarrif at night but don't want to be pushing those numbers from grid all at once on max charge, so want to reduce battery charge rate (lower but longer)

However I also don't want to limit overall charge rates as during the day I have ac coupled Pv charging the batteries through multiplus ii.

Ie max charge during the day from PV with grid setpoint being 0

At night I want schedule charging at Lower charge rate.

Thanks,

Matt

ESScharger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@matt1309

The system will have no control over you EV charger however there is a powercontrol feature you can manipulate.

Using a lower input current from the grid you will limit what is drawn.

In practice anything above that is drawn from the battery on the inverter until the low SOC you set in ESS, at this point the whole load switches to grid.

If the limit you set cannot charge the battery and run the EV load then it will not charge the system batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rrofes avatar image
rrofes answered ·

Hi Matt! Did you find a way to limit charge current of scheduled charging?

2 |3000

power4me avatar image
power4me answered ·

I have the same request as @matt1309.

Why stressing the Multiplus-II and the battery every night, when there is enough time to charge with less power.
The scheduled charging menu should have a setting to control the charge current of charge power.

92517943-453d-4878-9d60-37cd208fa6ca.jpegAdjusting the charge current using the DVCC menu works but it is very inconvenient. It would require a manual adjust to the normal settings every morning that the PV is able to charge the battery with max solar power.

daa9875d-cb88-4c24-97c7-193d5013d5da.jpeg

With night tariffs or especially the upcoming hourly variable tariffs it would be a beneficial feature to adjust the charge current individually for the 5 scheduled charging menus to maximize savings and help the grid by drawing power when the demand is low

2 |3000

larsea-dk avatar image
larsea-dk answered ·

Don’t you already have a set value for the CCL (charge current level) controlled by your battery to avoid overstressing. Or is it because you mostly have 4-5 hours charging time with low tariff and then want to charge at even lower range?

I agree it could be great to have a CCL for the Scheduled charge in case you also need power for something else and to minimize the amp in the system since you actually have time charge at lower level.

2 |3000

ektus avatar image
ektus answered ·

It would also allow to move the working point of the Multiplus in the area of best efficiency and improve overall efficiency (anything I²t related).

2 |3000

gdhondt avatar image
gdhondt answered ·

Is there already a solution for this?

I want to use the max “scheduled” charge current because of the fan noise at night.

2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

HI @gdhondt

Yes node red now allows you to easily set DVCC current limit. So you can schedule it in that to turn up or down. (to turn dvcc off you set the limit to -1).

(It's the Settings control node in node red, select venus settings then DVCC system max charge current. Then use inject node to pass the msg.payload (as a number) to that node at a specified time. And then pass -1 at another time to redisable dvcc current limit).

Screenshots below show an example of at 12:00 everyday setting dvcc to 50amps.

To (change 50 to -1 to have no limit).

Example inject node:

1708373920062.png

And then connect this to:

1708373961317.png

1708373920062.png (31.2 KiB)
1708373961317.png (28.4 KiB)
2 |3000

freddyuk avatar image
freddyuk answered ·

This is something I have wanted for some time since I have Aquion batteries on ESS. They enjoy long slow charge for maximum density and I have 8 hours off peak charging window each night. If I reduce the scheduled charging power down to use the full 8 hours charging period to get to 100% for the morning then when the PV kicks in (vary variable in Ireland) then my charging rate is insufficient during the winter when I want to use every bit of solar power as quickly as possible but it is still limited from the night setting. The sun can come out and give me 4kw but 50% of this goes straight to export. Manually switching the charging rates each day is not practical or going to happen....I do enough of that manually switching on the immersion heater when the batts at 100% and I am exporting 2500w.

I have been looking at Node Red as an option for Immersion heater diversion which is difficult with batteries using regualr diverters and if it can also achieve different scheduled charging rates for night and day this would be a good solution for getting better efficiency. I am not into programming so I have a lot to learn to implement these two functions.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic