question

rcarl1962 avatar image
rcarl1962 asked

Is BMV712 gauge water resistant

The BMV712 came with a lithium battery package for a boat. It is connected to a single 24V 75AH lithium battery. I'll be adding another 12V lithium and connecting it to the 712 as well. Question is....Is the gauge water resistant? I need to mount it in a console that is open to the weather and don't want to find a gauge flooded with water after a good rain. The shunt is hidden away in a dry compartment. Thanks.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Gauge is water resistant to IP55 spec. So needs to be shielded, but a splash or three will be fine.

Not clear what you expect from the guage for the extra 12V lithium. For the main battery it will provide full monitoring. For an additional battery of different voltage, all it will do is tell you the voltage, and the main/auxiliary battery must have a common ground/earth.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rcarl1962 avatar image
rcarl1962 answered ·

Thanks. As for the 12V battery, all I'm looking for is voltage. Sharing the ground with the 24V battery shouldn't be a problem. Both the 24V and 12V lithium batteries as isolated from the boats electrical system. They both get charged before going out. The 24V powers the trolling motor and the 12V powers 2 fish finders and a Livescope system.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Sounds good. For the 712 to give an accurate voltage of the second battery, they must share a common ground.
0 Likes 0 ·