question

johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith asked

4.2. Battery The battery supply must be protected by a fuse as per below table. This is also the case even if the solar charger has already been been equipped with an external fuse.

4.2. Battery

The battery supply must be protected by a fuse as per below table. This is also the case even if the solar charger has already been been equipped with an external fuse.

The above paragraph could be made a little clearer, maybe it's got a twist of google translate in there.

1. Regarding the MPPT 100/20 48V is this relevant as the unit has a 25A ato fuse fitted from the factory?
  2. I presume Victron is talking about the solar charger already having a fuse is refering to the PV side of the MPPT?
  3. Is this to prevent a battery short fault discharging back into the MPPT in which case the pre +bus bar fusing should prevent if correctly fused (AIC) close to the battery or
  4. to protect the cable from the battery to the MPPT?
  5. Where do the 25A and 30A recomendations come from?
  6. I presume a DP 15kA 40A MCB type Z non-polarity close to the MPPT would suffice as a means of isolation from the battery as per regs if using 30cm of 6mm² cable between the 30A fuse at busbar+ and MCB next to MPPT?

PV>16A MCB>MPPT 100/20-48(25A fuse onboard)>40A MCB>6mm² cable>30A fuse at busbar

Looking at this paragraph again, I presume it means that you have already fused the PV input side externally.

Then the ato fuse that is built into the MPPT prevents the PV Voltage/current fault from crossing over to the charging side.

Then I guess that leaves you with the fuse or MCB needed to protect the cable on the charging side to the battery.

I reckon that's what they mean.

regards

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers