question

sweyn avatar image
sweyn asked

Multiplus or separate Inverter and charger.

Hi everyone, I’m wondering if there are any disadvantages to buying a single Multiplus 12/1200/50 instead of buying a Phoenix Smart charger 12/50/3 plus a Phoenix inverter?

Do I lose anything or need to buy any extra bits for the Multiplus?

Can the Multiplus charge multiple batteries?

Thanks.

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sweyn avatar image sweyn commented ·
I should add that it’s for a boat.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

There is one very big reason to have a multi over separate units, when the solar PV generation is on a cloudy day and the Multiplus is switching from inverting to charging as the clouds come and go, making the Multiplus very reactive for a ESS installation. Having seperate units makes a ESS a little more complicated and less reactive, also you have the change of a overlap of inverting and charging. If you have a set discharge period ad a set charger period (IE off peak electricity) then separate units could be a consideration.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

hjohnson avatar image
hjohnson answered ·

When I was looking at the system for my boat, I wound up going with the multiplus route because it integrated much more cleanly. That said, I built a system with a DIY LiFePO4 battery (with a compatible BMS) and none of the separate chargers would integrate with DVCC (and the Cerbo GX)

2 |3000