question

busta999 avatar image
busta999 asked

Best EV Charger with Multiplus II + batteries and Solar later

Has anyone any thoughts on a preferred EV charger for the following setup.

single phase 100A supply

Multiplus II 5000

4 x 5kWh lithium batteries

Which will charge up for 14kWh per night in 4 hours and discharge the rest of the day.

Daily consumption is 12kWh

expect to add 4kWhp pv in next 12 months

Getting an 72kWh EV in next couple of months and will need an EV charger.

expect to add something like an Eddie to manage immersion heater in next 12 months

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@Busta999 For me personally, I am looking at getting a EV charger that has the option to meter the usage and allow me to bill others, that way I can rent out my charger when it is not in use and earn money for people charging on my charger and the amount of energy they use.

The faster the charging, the more attritive it is for people to use you charger and the better cost per kWh you can earn. Even better then if people are charging their car off your free electric from solar & / or batteries. I have not looked into the Victron charger much but it does appear very expensive. I have my charger listed zap-Map at £0.35p/kWh currently only on 6kW AC charger. Without any solar energy, I earn £0.10p per kWh.

Another consideration is tethered or untethered. My preference has always been untethered, that way you used the cable that came with your car and anyone else who has a EV also used their own cable. Worth noting the increase (here in the UK) the increasing number of EV cables getting cut and stolen to be sold on Facebook later. If you have a tethered unit and someone cuts the cable, its out of use until repaired or replaced. Untethered, you just buy another cable and plug it in, should it get stolen or damaged.

If its just for personal use, I would size the unit for the kW you would use normally and I do not recommend oversizing if its for personal use as the cost of the unit is massive for the high rate chargers.

Regardless to your location, its worth taking a look at some of the EV chargers out there people used on these public charging map apps and you'll see when is common and what is out of service and how long it has been out of service for. It gives you an idea of what's good, and what's not.

https://www.zap-map.com/

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK commented ·

Regarding the immersion heaters, those are ok because they are 99% efficient but a ASHP is 300% efficient so if you have the moment and you want to max the efficiency of your systems, I'd aim for the ASHP because each kW you put in to the ASHP, you'll get around 3kW of heat out.

0 Likes 0 ·
busta999 avatar image busta999 Jason - UK commented ·
Makes sense, two concerns I need to work through, I thought ASHP only took water to 40-45c and to avoid legionnaires an immersion heater was required.

From my reading an ASHP is 300% in the summer months and reduces to 100% to close it gets -5c, so great for getting warm water in the summer, still requires immersion heater to lift up further and in the winter, still great but the need for immersion increases.

The final concerns over ASHP is the capital/operational costs of upgrading the wet system radiators/ retrofitting underfloor heating.

I am already planning over insulating the house so not an issue here.

Not against ASHP, but need to get my head around costs and ROI.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jason - UK avatar image Jason - UK busta999 commented ·

My Ecodan can if I want it to get the hot water to 60*C but the last 3 degrees really takes a lot out of the heat pump so I use the immersion after the compressor has finished to do the last 3*C to hit 60*C. My COP in the winter for HWS generation is 2.7 at -4*C in Eco mode. If I run it in boost, it drops to 2.1 COP. With my weather compensated heating at A-4W50, A16W25, my SCOP sits around 4.7 as a yearly average. UFH helps that. And the solar PV into the heating & HWS generation, it multiplies the cost benefit for heating & hot water coming from a ASHP, even more with batteries.

At my last house, I had no immersion, the ASHP did the full HWS generation to 60*C every day, never missed a beat. Same heap pump, a Mitsubishi Ecodan WM85 9kW ASHP.

0 Likes 0 ·
busta999 avatar image busta999 commented ·
Thanks much appreciated, leaning heavily to a zappi/harvi/Eddie combo, with everything else Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·