question

David avatar image
David asked

Fronius Smart Meter

Hi Victron Team

For an ESS, Victron/BYD/Fronius system, can Fronius Smart Meter be used? And what are the impacts if an installer has put the Fronius smart meter on the grid side of an ET340? I have seen that at in the FAQ 4 of the Victron AC Coupled PV with Fronius PV that it say not to use it, but installer indicated contact with Fronius had said it will work.

Thanks

David

Fronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, sorry; you cant use it.

The reason is that the fronius will then self-regulate itself; to keep feed-in within a configured Limit.

And at same time there is the victron system increasing/decreasing its own power set points to keep the meter at 0 W.

It’s like rope pulling; effect will be an unstable system.

Out of interest, why do you want to use the two meters?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

David avatar image
David answered ·

Thanks Matthijs. Installer has a customer site with a utility export limit that is eg: 3kW lower than the amount of PV on the Fronius plus MPPT pv. The 'rope-pulling' (roller coaster) didn't appear to happen till we turned on DVCC yesterday morning that was added to try to remove alarm 1 & 3's which seems to have worked. We turned MPPT export off (which is more than the 3kW difference) midday and that seems to have settled the system potentially meaning Fronius export could be redundant and could be removed. VRM portal ID has been submitted with an enquiry request locally. Much appreciated.

2 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi David, ok I understand. I'm sorry, but will really not work; combining those two meters.

What do you mean with 'VRM portal ID has been submitted with an enquiry request locally?'?

Please don't ask the same to the local Australian Victron staff; it won't help and only cost time.

I agree that would be nice if there was a way (either with Fronius meter, or without) to set a limit on the export; but there is not (yet).

We'll probably have such feature somewhere in 2019.

0 Likes 0 ·
gerharduh avatar image gerharduh mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
there is now a function to limit the feed-in power.
0 Likes 0 ·
justinq avatar image
justinq answered ·

I will add my 2 cents and describe my current system which utilises a Fronius Smart Meter. A quick circuit description:

MAIN BOARD

GRID ---> MAIN SWITCH ---> FRONIUS SMART METER --> MAIN BOARD CIRCUITS (DUCTED AC, STOVE, HOT WATER, SUBBOARD & 5KW FRONIUS PV INVERTER).

SUB BOARD

FEED from MAIN ---> VICTRON MULTIGRID ---> SUB BOARD CIRCUITS (POWER, LIGHTS). MULTIGRID DC Coupled to MPPT with LG CHEM RESU.

In this configuration the Fronius Solar system is not intended to charge the battery; solely for grid export to "earn" enough money to pay off the fixed grid costs (plus supply the big ducted ac loads in summer).

When the Multigrid begins to "export" (send power to main board when battery charged and subboard loads met), the Fronius Smart Meter will flag to the Fronius Inverter to ramp down as required so that total grid export <= 5KW.

I had to go down this path as there was no way to have defined grid exports (either full or nothing with Victron). I'm excited to read that the ET340 with a grid export limit will be a possibility in the future. I don't think I'll be the only one from what I've read.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks! Very clear and a nice solution. And yes that will work: only one meter.

0 Likes 0 ·
gerharduh avatar image
gerharduh answered ·

Hallo,

there is now a function to limit the feed-in power.
2 |3000