question

svendickman avatar image
svendickman asked

Battery voltage high

Hello,

I have a fairly simple configuration with 1x 12V 130W Solar Panel, 1x SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and recently added 1x Victron AGM Deep Charge 12V 8Ah Battery.

The battery type is set to Gel Victron deep discharge, and set to 12V.

Since I replaced the existing battery with a new Victron AGM, the voltage on the battery and load have gone up to 21V (visible on bluetooth app and with a multimeter) which is what the solar panel seems to be putting out.

This high voltage has now fried 2 fountain pumps and my patio lights.

It looks like the MPPT is not doing any voltage reduction like it should be.

I do not wish to connect any new load to the battery at this voltage (which I guess is probably damaged) as it will probably damage it as well.

Any suggestions on what might be going wrong?

Sven

MPPT Controllersovervoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
svendickman avatar image
svendickman answered ·

Automatic Equalization is disabled and has never been manually started.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Please check that the mppt has not been set to (or auto selected) charge a 24v battery.

2 comments
2 |3000

svendickman avatar image svendickman commented ·
Hi, thanks for the reply, but the voltage is correctly set at 12V, I've even tried setting it to 24V (at night for a few minutes) and then setting it back to 12V.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ svendickman commented ·
Please post a screenshot of your battery/charger settings.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic