question

rainerb avatar image
rainerb asked

BMV712 Smart - curious questions about the counters

Hello,

I installed my BMV712 a few days ago, everything works fine but I would like to ask for a few details:

Counted charge cycles:

According to the user manual, a charge cycle is only counted, if the batteries are discharged to 65% and charged back to >90%.

The deepest discharge of my 24V/1200Ah lead acid battery bank is usually limited to 70% - so do I never get a counted charge cycle? Or can I change the conditions what a charge cycle should be in my system?

Automatic synchronisation:

Is an auto synchronisation only counted, if the three conditions (battery voltage, tail current and duration) are met and the SoC does not already show 100%?

My system already had discharges and was charged up to 100% (the 3 conditions were obviously met a bit later - according to VRM), but the auto synch counter is still 0.

Maybe it counts only if the SoC jumps from a deeper SoC level to 100%?

Thank you & best regards

Rainer

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @RainerB,

> 1) The deepest discharge of my 24V/1200Ah lead acid battery bank is usually limited to 70% - so do I never get a counted charge cycle? Or can I change the conditions what a charge cycle should be in my system?

Indeed, never counted. And those parameters are not configurable.

> 2) Auto synchronisation counter

I’m not sure; I’ll find out. Have a good Sunday, Matthijs

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rainerb avatar image rainerb commented ·

Hi mvader (Victron Energy Staff),

would it be very difficult (or bring troubles) to let the user decide what a "Charge cycle" should be in his system? I mean two new configurable parameters:

A Charge cycle is only counted, if the batteries are discharged to "SOC_low" (not fixed to 65%) and charged back to > "SOC_high" (not fixed to 90%).

After over a month in operation, my charge cycle counter is still zero and unfortunately this leads also to another useless parameter (average discharge value).

Regards

Rainer

0 Likes 0 ·
1556435752220.png (16.2 KiB)
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ rainerb commented ·

Just set a lower battery size in the BMV, if you halve the capacity, a 30% discharge will register as a 60% discharge.

0 Likes 0 ·
rainerb avatar image rainerb boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi Boekel,

thank you for your proposal. This might work for a test purpose but doing this, also needs other values changed in my system. Tail current, my LED SoC indicators, my venus gx script etc and I would always see "wrong" SoC values on the Remote Console/VRM portal.

For me, this would not be a professional solution to the issue.

Regards

Rainer

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ rainerb commented ·

I would also like this counter to have user configurable parameters. As currently my cycle count is also 0.

0 Likes 0 ·