question

jjv avatar image
jjv asked

BMV 712 Shows Wrong Voltage

I have two SOK 12 volt 100 Ah batteries wired in Series for 24 volts. My Connect App shows "Starter Battery" under Input: 26 to 27 volts depending on load, charge... this is a correct display. The Output section on my Connect App under "Voltage" shows 13.03 volts at the moment. I am completely confused as to what is causing the approx 12 volt voltage display since my system is a 24 volt system. Can you advise what might be causing this?

Also, I will admit that the term "Starter Battery" means little to me, this is an offgrid system that I have designed and installed to run a home freezer and a few small items like lights. Do you know of any resource that actually defines the term Starter Battery?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

I am unfamiliar with your situation but a starter battery IMO would be the vehicle battery / generator battery and they are 12V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gravely-headstone avatar image
gravely-headstone answered ·

Hi - I was browsing for answers to some questions that I have, and came across this post with your weird problem.

Did you ever get it resolved ?

2 |3000

Sarah avatar image
Sarah answered ·

A diagram of how it is wired up would be helpful. Firstly, if it says 'starter battery' you are likely using the wrong battery positive connection input on the smart shunt (this input can be configured for a second battery, mid-point or temperature), secondly if you are getting 12 volts it may be that the main battery positive input is connected to the midpoint between the batteries? If you could confirm how it is wired up it would be a good start.

2 |3000