question

antea avatar image
antea asked

MPPT 100/20 ignores set absorption voltage limit

I have replaced BlueSky 2000 MPPT with Victron MPPT 100/20, partially because the BS2000 only had one voltage setting and was holding my TPPLs at 14,1V no matter the SOC. But the new MPPT 100/20 bulk and absorption hold it at 15.1V for a while although I set the max absorption at 14.8V. Eventually it kicks down to my pre-set float. I have Smart Battery Sense connected and Victron BM V 702. I live aboard and often can smell the acid in the afternoon, which prompts me to check the voltage. The smell is never present when the V is less that 14.8. One time it shot up to 17.3V.

I confirmed the equalization was turned off and to be sure I set the max equalization V to 14.85V anyway. I went back to the set up for the user defined battery and was surprised there was no way to set the bulk voltage limit, only the absorption and float limits. Why is that?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The Absorption is the Bulk setting.

Ie you set the absorption to 14.1 (as a example) this means that the unit is in bulk until it reachs the 14.1 volts thats set then it drops to absorption and holds 14.1 until the Absorption time limit is reached then it goes to float voltage that you have set

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

In Victron parlance (pretty normal), 'Bulk' is just a phase to be conquered in pursuit of the Absorb target. So the target is already specified, but some algorithms may deliberately restrict progress through Bulk to protect your batts.

Temp compensation may be boosting your V targets too if it's cold there.

That 'acid smell' would ring alarm bells for me. And 14.8V is quite high for Pb's, and I wouldn't go near that myself as a base setting. Some batt makers may supply a suggested range for the 'masses', then might not provide a temp comp factor. Picking the high-end figure will rarely increase charge performance much, maybe just boil water from flooded Pb's, and could kill sealed batts. My Victron kit defaults 14.4V Abs and 13.8V +/- tc, perfect for me anyway.

Your 'one time 17.3V', if just a registered spike, could have been caused by the dropping of a load. In that case nothing to worry about. If you see it remain there then there's a serious issue - something to be fixed.

Edit/: My slow keyboard, sorry Paul.

2 |3000

antea avatar image
antea answered ·

Thanks for the replies. As to the bulk, clearly the definition has been to throw everything at it until the bulk voltage limit is reached. My two aging Sears label Odyssey 100Ah TPPLs came with recommendation of 14.8V bulk limit and 14.7V absorption. So, no big deal if Victron chooses to use the same value for both, I set the absorption limit to 14.75V, My Smart Battery Sense has been reliably transmitting 20 to 25 deg battery temperature readings here in sunny Florida since installed a month ago. I don't have much in the way of loads, so by morning I see a deficit of around 35 - 42Ah on the BMV702. By early afternoon, the batteries are around 24 C / 75 F as per VictronConnect on my phone and the BMV702 is reset to full charge, Tail charging current is around 1A, but probably because of fast MPPT action it oscillates wildly. My little Frigoboat comes on and off with 3 to 4A load on 25min cycle. With the laptop, occasional water pressure pump and some lights average additional load is ~2.5A. Yet when the fridge is off, the voltage climbs to 15.1V. I haven't figured out for how long, but clearly long enough on occasion to make one or both the batteries vent.

Next I will try to lower the absorption limit to 14.6V and see what happens.

2 |3000

antea avatar image
antea answered ·

OK, lowering the absorption setting to 14.6V now reliably keeps the bulk and absorption below 14.85V. I seems there should not be a 0.25V discreppancy, but I can live with it. I don't have a calibrated multi-meter, but the Smart Battery Sense shows only 0.05V more than the BMV702, which is probably right because of the involved voltage drops. Fluke has been on my wish list for decades now.

For anyone following my ramblings, most lead/acid batteries have lower recommended voltage settings than the TPPLs (Thin Plate Pure Lead) variety.

2 |3000