question

johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith asked

Sneaky question MPPT100/20 48V blade fuse voltage rating?

I have a few mppt smart 100/20 48V the latest ones. Can I ask why does this unit have a built in removable 25A alto fuse that is for automotive use and only rated at 32V when I am sending 57.6V to my batteries on Bulk charge phase? Am I overlooking something? or is this fuse rated at 60VDC?

I am concerned it won't meet local code as all fuses need to be 125% of the nominal voltage.

regards

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Which country are you in?

Did you mean auto fuse?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Dear @Johnsmith , you are right. It should be a 80V spec fuse. I am looking into the details.

Meanwhile, as you also stated, the same fuse is available in 48VDC. I would prefer to supply you those, let me know if you want that. Then I'll get someone to contact you via email.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

johnsmith avatar image johnsmith commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy)

We are in the UK. How do I contact yourself? I don't see a PM option in the forum back end.

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ johnsmith commented ·
Hi @Johnsmith I'll contact you trough email on the address you registered with here.
0 Likes 0 ·
johnsmith avatar image johnsmith Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Daniel,

Thank you for contacting us so quickly and for sorting this out for us. Very good product and very good customer support.

Regards

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You make a good point, fuse ratings should relate to battery voltage.

One thing to note, the load terminals are only rated @ 1a for 36-48v battery systems.

2 |3000

johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

Yes, the load terminals are not being used in my setup as they have no purpose, I suppose they are just for lighting or a relay ouput when used in the 48VDC configuration, really they are redundant.

I have battery 48VDC connected to the output terminals and PV connected to the input terminals.

The battery output is rated at the full 20A at 48VDC with the onboard replacable 25A fuse fitted that come with the unit.

My original question goes back to the use of an onboard alto fuse rated at 32V in an output circuit to the battery of 48VDC nominal at 20A?

Could @mvader (Victron Energy) give his opinion?

thanks

2 |3000

johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

As usual I answer my own questions on here.

Ato fuses are available in 80VDC for anyone who has a 48V system.

Lets hope Victron have used an 80VDC spec fuse in their mppt 100/20 48v versions.

Still waiting for a reply from Victron.

2 |3000