question

semiraue avatar image
semiraue asked

Use victron charge controller with MPP inverter

Hi All,

I have smaller solar setup that I'm planning to bigger one. I recently purchase one Pylontech US3000C rack mount battery for this upgrade

New items

I tried to purchase victron mutliplus inverters and there's no way I can get it from my location. Also I was trying to get inverter from Meanwell, but lead times are very long. So I'm thinking to go with MPP solar units. I have few questions regarding this.

1. MPP units has MPPT charger inbuilt. but still I like to use my trusty victron MPPT charge controller for charge pylontech battery. is this possible ?

2. If I connect MPP inverter battery IN to the pylontech battery which also connects the victron charger, does it damage my victron charger ?

3. what are the items need to communicate with Pylontech battery from victron mppt smart charger ?

4. if above configuration can be done, can I connect the MPP 3kv inverter to my small charge controller load output ?

Also I really like to use all victron products. since no way to get it for my location. I was thinking to go with cheaper chines brand first and later upgrade to Victron if possible

Any input on this really appreciated

Thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You have the wrong MPPT and panel combo.

2 panels in series (required for charging a 48v battery) will go go over the mppt's max input PV voltage of 100v.

JA solar 460w panel.

Victron online MPPT calculator.

11 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

semiraue avatar image semiraue commented ·

Hi, thanks for the reply. this calculation based on around -25F low temperature right ? The location minimum temperature will not go down more than 68F. and we only getting 46voc max from the panels. so adding 2x those in series and 2x strings in parallel wont exceed the 100/20 controller ratings. that's what I got from this calculator.

So based on the values I thought this controller can handle the 4x panels. correct me if I'm wrong

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ semiraue commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
semiraue avatar image semiraue klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

If I use 150/35 controller can I use the MPP inverter with it ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Avoid Mpp solar.

MPP solar. 3024MK is a 24v battery inverter.

Remember the 6 P's.

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

0 Likes 0 ·

I'm sorry but the inverter I mentioned is PIP3048LV-MK 3000w 48v not the 24V.

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Agree with this. but I really cannot get whatever equipment I needed from this location. I have to go with whatever available on the market. I tried many ways to get my hands on victron unit. but decided to go with these brands since no other option. - From Sri Lanka.

0 Likes 0 ·
Perhaps you could provide a link to the products?
0 Likes 0 ·

Sorry for the lack of datasheets on my initial question. below the datasheets

PIP3048LV-MK 3000w - http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/PIP-MK.pdf

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/PIP3048LV-MK-3000w-48v-MPPT-solar_1700006558877.html?spm=a2700.shop_plgr.41413.17.3ddb2e46zj5a8g

Pylontech US3000C - https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/pdfs/pylon-us3000c-manual-240221.pdf

JA solar 460w - https://www.jasolar.com//uploadfile/2020/0619/20200619040220997.pdf

Edit---

Seems MPP datasheets are really bad. they has the 48V version for 3kw for sale. but datasheets only mentioned the 3Kw 24v units and 5kw 48v units.

0 Likes 0 ·

Probably this MPP solar inverter-charger?

48v battery, 120v ac out?

0 Likes 0 ·
yes, extremely sorry. I got the wrong information.my bad. their website is confusing. This is wrong inverter model. I need 48V/230V 3kw inverter. not this

However, only thing I want to know, is it possible to run different brand inverter on a battery while Victron solar charge controller charging it at the same time ?

Any chance my equipment getting damage by doing this ?

0 Likes 0 ·

Any chance my equipment getting damage by doing this ?

Pylontech batteries rely on the internal BMS (via a gx type device) controlling chargers and inverters .

Without a computer between the battery and inverters/chargers, the battery is unprotected.l

0 Likes 0 ·
Ok. Thank you for all the information. Could you suggest me 3-5kw inverter(not all in one unit) which I can use with my existing equipment ?

I will try to change charge controller to 150/35.

0 Likes 0 ·