question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Discontinued MPPT 150/70

opera-snapshot-2022-04-22-190243-wwwinvertersupply.pngimg-20220422-184013.jpgI was given one of these earlier today , nice and clean and in perfect working order , unfortunately because its a discontinued model i cant find the relevant information and its not clear in the manual . I dont think this Charge Controller can be monitored on a PC I want to confirm that before i return it . I can see it has no Bluetooth and from what little information i have read it can only be connected to a PC with a Victron CANUSB which appears is available at a cost almost equal to a new MPPT controller , i cant see any way it can be hard wired to a PC . The Multiplus inverter i have ordered only requires a MK3-USB (VE.Bus to USB) costing 1/10 the price so im puzzled at the difference . There is no explanation of what the abbreviation of CAM stands for but its mentioned a lot in communication , CAMUSB , VE CAM etc img-20220422-183944.jpg

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
It's actually CAN, not CAM. It's very similar to the CANBUS used in automotive industry.

The MK3 interface is used for configuration.

There are quite a few monitoring options.

A complete description of the system and what/how you expect toonitor would help get a better answer.

0 Likes 0 ·
ako avatar image ako kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Kevgermany i only wish t monitor the basics from the Charge controller as i have done with the Morningstar TS60 PWM screenhunter-27.pngfor the last 3 years . I have attached a screenshot to show the only parameters i wish to monitor , i am not interested in spending a lot of money for something with all the bells and whistles and internet connected .. The output is in real time but i can also look at historical data for the same . .

0 Likes 0 ·
screenhunter-27.png (50.1 KiB)
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi This charge controller has no computer connect properties except through canbus connection as far as I am aware. and NO bluetooth - its a good charger though and works well - even the newer smartsolar units dont have direct computer serial port access - but they do have bluetooth

There are two options that I can see for monitoring

Option 1 (I think this is the best option as sooner or latter you will get a GX unit as they have SO many features) so dont even get a MK3 use the funds and buy a GX device this will also replace the Mk3 in 95% of cases - (you can buy a cerbo without a screen and use your phone or computer as the screen)

as you are getting a multiplus I suggest you also purchase a GX device (in preference a cerbo) - this also has a can bus connection that the MPPT unit should be able to connect to, CanBUS is a industry standard protocol so it should be compatible - however I have NOT connected one of these myself this way so I cant confirm things for you.

1650772595377.png

option 2 to get monitoring just install a Victron smartshunt in its DC negative output and set the smartshunt up as a solar monitor - this would then connect to a Victron GX device and you will have all the monitoring you want via the Victron VRM or via the smart shunts bluetooth connection.

1650772595377.png (42.0 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ako avatar image ako commented ·

Thank you Paul , i can see your point although i need to keep the costs to a minimum as i need very little by way of information from these two pieces or equipment , if i had a large system with several units i can see i would be more worthwhile but our system is small and sufficient for our needs , it will not be upgraded in any way so theres no need to pay more than necessary to cover any future changes , its been this way for 20 years and served us well . The Multiplus Victron sent was the 12 volt model so it was returned and im waiting for the 24 volt model although i did keep the MK3 that i ordered as i will need it for the Multiplus but i dont think it will be any use on this MPPT , as far as i can see it . I am puzzled by the fact that so many of Victrons products can be connected to a PC one way or another without going through an internet connection and this unit has 2 RJ45 ports no mention anywhere of an connector other then the very expensive one i included to link to . I am wondering what would happen if i were to plug the MK 3 into it .I have looked now at the Cerbo and i see its the same price as the Venus but not sure about the connection , the MPPT i have has a CAMUSB , not sure if thats the same as a CAMBUS , this is al new territory to ma and getting the wrong item would be an expensive mistake as i have already bought a MK3 . If the GX CERBO device would work with this MPPT i have and the Multiplus i am waiting for then i would prefer to use my Laptops for monitoring so i wouldn't want the screen they sell anyway .

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

There are lower cost CANbus-USB interfaces. The one I used when I ran Venus OX on a Raspberry PI was the CANable:

https://www.canable.io

2 |3000