question

johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith asked

Midpoint Voltage setup with Multiplus II, cerbo gx and Lynx Shunt VE

I will keep my system setup brief without the detail.

Multiplus II

Lynx Shunt VE

Lynx Distributer * 3

MPPT 100/20 * 6

Pheonix invertor 48/800

4 strings of 48V 130ah batteries

I am trying to figure a way of taing midpoint voltage from my battery array and report back to VRM

LYNX Shunt VE only take 1 voltage input and 1 temperature input.

If i configure the Lynx Shunt in the cerbo to control the battery monitoring I lose the function of the voltage monitoring from the Multiplus 2?

Is it possible to use a voltage input on the Multiplus 2 to display mid point voltage at the same time as using Lynx Shunt VE to monitor the bank voltage and sort the charging with the Multiplus 2?

If anyone can suggest a way I can achieve this please let me know.

If the Lynx Shunt VE had mid poihnt monitoring it would be very simple.

I feel like the Lynx Shunt is a bit of an expensive flop.

I could place the smart shunt in series with the Lynx distributers but it will look crap and also means bodging a postive insulated busbar to parallel the smart shunt in length.

I also have a smart shunt 500 which I was going to use on 1 of my strings (i don't think balance and resistance wouldn't be a problem as max 100A peak and nom @20A a string) just to take advantage of the midpoint voltage reading and connect it with ve direct to the cerbo gx so I can view it in the VRM; until I read in one for the forums that this will confuse the charging control with the Lynx Shunt VE can and the Multiplus 2.

Anyway if any has a suggestion please let me know.

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Midpoint monitoring in Victron designs is for systems where system voltage is achieved through series battery connections, e.g. 2x12V wired for 24V.

Do you have strings of 48V batteries, or strings of lower voltage batteries in series giving 48V in total?

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
missingegg avatar image
missingegg answered ·

I have the same question. My sense is that if you want midpoint monitoring, the Lynx Shunt is just not for you. Which is a shame, as the way the Lynx modules cross connect seems like it makes the neatest possible system installation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ploth avatar image
ploth answered ·

You have to add a smart shunt / BMV to the Lynx Input. I can't see a purpose for the added cost of the Lynx Shunt when it doesn't have mid point....

2 |3000