question

mikeeboy avatar image
mikeeboy asked

100/30 MPPT questions, van installation

Sorry for the length of this, trying to provide as much detail as possible.

Existing set up:

Ford Transit with dual AGM vehicle starting batteries.

1000w inverter that is powered from vehicle alternator. It only works when engine is running. Inverter is primarily used to charge multiple power tool batteries while driving to job sites and the newly acquired Bluetti AC200MAX and Jackery 1000 power packs.

30 amp Shore power hook up connected to Blue Sea 7532 40 amp battery charger to charge vehicle starting batteries. Shore power connected to either cord from house, or Honda 2000 gasoline generator. The shore power, Blue Sea 40 amp charger were installed in phase 1 of my build 2 years ago.

There are no permanently installed leisure batteries. The vehicle starting batteries will be occasionally used to power items like vehicle interior lights and radio, hence the desire to have charging capacity when vehicle is not running.

I recently purchased a Bluetti AC 200 Max and a Jackery 1000 portably power stations for leisure/house battery function.

I have three 100 watt solar panels (each 24.3 volts open circuit rating) to be installed on roof of van, to be wired in series. This is phase 2 of my build, currently under way.

The solar panels will be used to charge the Bluetti AC200Max and the Jackery 1000 (either simultaneously or separately) and/or my dual vehicle stating batteries. Some of my questions are about if and how the 3 separate batteries (Bluetti, Jackery and vehicle starting batteries) can be charged either simultaneously or separately. The Bluetti and Jackery power packs have their own internal charge controllers so they can be hooked up directly to the solar panels

I have a Victron 100/30 MPPT solar charger to charge the vehicle starter batteries. The Bluetti and Jackery power pack have their own internal charging management systems and can be connected directly to the solar panels with their adaptor connectors.

After the 2 solar panel wires, 10 guage(+/-), enter the vehicle, I have connected them to a 50 amp 2-pole breaker/disconnect switch. There are actually two 50 amp 2-pole breaker/switches installed in a HT-5 mini panel/box. The solar panel +/- cables connect to one of the 2-pole breaker/switches and there are jumper wires connected between the + and – terminals on the top inlet/line side of the both breaker/switches. The bottom, outlet/line side of one of the breaker/switches will connect to either the Bluetti or Jackery (Circuit 1) . The outlet/line side of the other breaker/switch will connect to the Victron 100/30 (Circuit 2). So, the two 2-pole breakers/switches, in addition to acting as the disconnect for the panels, are also acting as a two way transfer switch. They allow solar panels to power either the power packs (circuit 1) or the vehicle battery (circuit 2) or both? depending on the on/off position of the switches .

Questions:

1. Can the Bluetti AC 200Max and the Jackery 1000 be charging at the same time by using a 2-way solar wire splitter?
  2. Can the vehicle batteries (via Victron 100/30) and the Bluetti/Jackery all be charged at the same time by having both 2-pole switches in the ON position? (within the limits of the solar panels output capacity)
  3. The dual AGM vehicle starting batteries will have 3 charging options; (1) alternator while vehicle is running, (2) Shore Power with Blue Sea 40 amp battery charger and (3) solar panels with Victron 100/30 MPPT. I plan to install Blue Sea 6008 (300 amp max, 32 volt max) 3-position (1-2-off) battery selector switches on both the positive and negative cables to act as isolation/diverter switches. I already have these switches left over from phase 1 build so I would like to utilize them. So, in position 1 the vehicle batteries will be charged by shore power and the Blue Sea 40 amp charger. In position 2 the vehicle batteries will be charged by the solar panels/Victron 100/30 MPPT. The 4 gauge +/- cables coming from the vehicle battery will each be connected to a 3 pole heavy duty bus bar, then connecting a 4 gauge cable to positions 1 and 2 of each of the Blue Sea selector switches. There will also be circuit breakers installed on the positive cables, between the 2 cables on the positive bus bar and positions 1 and 2 on the selector switch. 50 amp breaker on the position 1 Shore power Blue Sea charger circuit and 40 amp on the position 2 Victron 100/30 MPPT circuit (Note: The phase 1 existing set up already has a Blue Sea on/off battery switch connected to the positive cable between the Blue Sea 40 amp shore power charger and the vehicle batteries as well as a xx amp breaker on the positive cable.) Questions are: What is the max voltage OUTPUT possibility from the battery connection side of the Victron 100/30 MPPT? I know that INPUT side from the panels is rated at 100 volts . I assume that the OUTPU side has a range of +/- 14 volts output to accommodate the requirements of whatever types of batteries it is charging (Lithium, AGM, or lead acid) but my question/concern is what the max voltage output could be under normal or a faulty condition. This question is relative to the max voltage rating of the Blue Sea 3 position switches which have a max voltage rating of 32 volts. Is there some sort of internal limit regulator in the 100/30 MPPT that will safely limit the output voltage under the 32 volt max capacity of the Blue Sea selector switches. Same question apply to the 40 and 50 amp circuit breakers which each have a 48 volt max rating. What is the possibility and ramifications of the voltage output from the 100/30 MPPT exceeding these voltages?

4. What would be the ramifications of starting the vehicle while the batteries where connected to and being charged from either the shore power Blue Sea battery charger circuit or the solar panel Victron 100/30 MPPT circuit? Could the vehicle battery be damaged? Could the MPPT controller or the Blue Sea shore power charger be damaged?

Any comments, concerns, suggestions are greatly appreciated

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Connecting multiple charging loads to the same solar array is iffy at best. This is especially true with one or more MPPT controllers since the MPPT will constantly hunt for the best power transfer point and fight other solar controllers attached to the array. You would be best to charge each battery separately via a 3-way switch.

You also do not want to connect multiple battery banks to the same bus for charging due to different charging profile needs. In addition, paralleling battery banks would probably result in current flow from one to the other. Since your input to your Bluetti and Jackery packs connect to the charging sources through a solar charge controller this probably won't be an issue.

The starter batter voltage may not be high enough for those to function. Attempting to charge the Bluetti and Jackery packs from your Blue Sea charger or the vehicle alternator would have the same lower voltage issues.The Blue Sea charger would expect to see actual battery voltage in order to charge properly and the solar controller will provide a much different load to the charger. IF you charge the Bluetti and Jackery packs via the interter then this isn't an issue.

Multiple charging sources to a battery bank is generally acceptable, however care must be taken to avoid excessive charging current. The charging sources will sum and the total could exceed your battery bank's maximum charging current.

Your solar panels will provide less than 300 watts charging current to your battery banks. That's 25 amps at your battery voltage of 12 volts.

I'm not sure what your alternator output will be. It needs to be considered also.

What you come up with will depend on your battery charging specs.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.