question

thepilot avatar image
thepilot asked

Limiting the MPPT output current

Hi all,

Looking into my battery choice (Lithium 5kw 48V) it states that the max charging current should be 50A. If my solar array and MPPT 250/100 produces 89A at the charge voltage can I program the MPPT to not exceed 50A or would I need a different MPPT?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Within Victron Connect under Battery settings, you can set an absolute maximum current.

This will prohibit the MPPT from ever outputting more than 50A for any reason, so your array is limited to 50A output even if you need more for loads.

A better option is to install a GX device and enable DVCC. DVCC can specify a maximum charge current that covers ALL GX connected charge sources. You could limit charging to 50A but still use all available PV current to power loads above and beyond 50A if needed.

9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

h8mecz avatar image h8mecz commented ·

Hello, I have similar problem - I have 2x MPPT 250/100 so it can produce max 200A (but it will never happen due to 2 strings - East and south oriented). My battery can charge max 100A (nominal 50A, peak 110A@15 seconds) - it is Pylontech L2 driven by BMS. I have restricted 90A maximum charge current in DVCC. I have maximum 100A in both MPPTs. And still I receive sometimes the error of High charge current and according graphs - there was 108A of charging. I need to note that I have enabled feeding in grid (virtual battery solution of my electric distributor). How it can happen even I have max charging current 90A restricted in DVCC? Many thanks for help and advices.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri h8mecz commented ·
@H8meCZ

Didn't I read somewhere in the DVCC manual that when grid feed-in is enabled, CCL doesn't apply?

F.

1 Like 1 ·
h8mecz avatar image h8mecz Fideri commented ·
  • Note: When DC-coupled PV feed-in excess is enabled with ESS, the DVCC system will not apply the DVCC charge current limit from PV to battery. This behaviour is necessary to allow the export. Charge voltage limits will still apply.

Charge current limits set at the individual solar charger device settings level will also still apply.

0 Likes 0 ·
h8mecz avatar image h8mecz Fideri commented ·
From this statement from the Victron manual I assume there is nothing to control charging current to battery instead of CCL from BMS in the situation when I feed grid in. Am I right?
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ h8mecz commented ·
This only applies to the manual limit set in DVCC, nothing else.

MPPTs and inverters will not exceed manual limits set on the devices themselves, and CCL from the BMS will be honoured.

With untested/DIY batteries, it may not always behave as expected.

0 Likes 0 ·
h8mecz avatar image h8mecz nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

I have Pylontech Force L2 batteries. For example CCL is 100A and I have peaks such as 118A for some seconds and for ten or twenty seconds 108A for example. I would live with this maybe but Cerbo turns on High charge current alarm and batteries are off - IDLE 0W nothing. Needs to be shut down and restarted :( this is annoying.

0 Likes 0 ·

How many batteries on what size inverter?

If you are too tightly sized or undersized, this can be an issue as the battery can't sink the transients.

The spikes are usually transient, so on an optimal pack it shouldn't have a detrimental effect nor stop the system.

The L2's seem to have a very low discharge/charging rating for the capacity which won't help.

0 Likes 0 ·
h8mecz avatar image h8mecz nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I have capacity 10,65kWh - it has charging currents like this: standard 45A, normal 100A, max 110A@15 seconds and I have 3 phase system with Multiplus II 48/3000/35 inverters
0 Likes 0 ·

That system requires a minimum of 200A in the battery pack to operate optimally. With such an undersized charge/discharge limit it is not going to perform right as it is unable to sink the current the system needs.

KWh aren’t a sizing metric, 1:1 is not a well balanced system.

0 Likes 0 ·
thepilot avatar image
thepilot answered ·

Cheers Snoobler

That is great, I have most of my kit bought and have a cerbo gx so will look at this.

So basically I can send 50A max to the batteries for charging and the rest can be used by the Quattro for AC inverting loads? Have a 48/8000 Quattro, MPPT 250/100, lynx Dist, Lynx shunt, 4kw solar array. Produces max 92A in 48V setting in perfect conditions

Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
If your battery can only accept 50a charge, what is the discharge current?
0 Likes 0 ·
snoobler avatar image snoobler commented ·

Yes. I have a 250/100 w/3kW solar, but only FLA that can handle < 39A @ 48V. Before I got my CCGX, I had to limit the MPPT output current with Victron Connect. It was fine most of the time, but heavy use periods were frustrating.

Just connect the MPPT and Quattro to the GX, enable DVCC on the GX and set the charge current limit to 50A. With the Quattro and MPPT connected to the GX, it will manage them even if charging from grid or generator too, e.g., intermittent solar, and you're charging from generator - DVCC will limit both to 50A TOTAL.

0 Likes 0 ·
thepilot avatar image
thepilot answered ·

https://voltaconsolar.com/batteries/lithium-ion/lithium-battery-100ah-5120wh-48v.html

50A recommended

70A max

100A peak

Assuming 48V into the 8000Kva inverter to 240V should be max 34A.....I assume!

2 |3000