question

rns avatar image
rns asked

Activation multiplus II triggers earth leakage after few seconds

I just wanted to activate my multiplus II for the first time. I connected the AC IN to an outlet and grounded from the ground pin of the AC IN to the case.

A few seconds after the multiplus II is switched on it triggers the earth leak switch.

I couldn't do any configurations on the multiplus since this was my first attempt to switch it on. In the next step I wanted to start configuration.

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·
Just a thought - In a fixed domestic install, the earth should come from the ACIN (L/N/E) domestic supply connection, which provides a permanent earth. Do not earth the case again. Does your outlet provide L/N/E? If yes only connect it to ACIN the same and ensure correct polarity too.
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Meine_Energiewende avatar image
Meine_Energiewende answered ·

Do you have a battery connected? If Not: that is your problem.

Jens

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rns avatar image rns commented ·

I have no battery connected. Isn't it strange that if there is no battery or if the BMS would disconnect the multiplus would trigger an earth leakage ?

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake rns commented ·

The multiplus should not be install on an Earth leakage in fixed installs.

But yes, it some systems if there is no battery attached it will trip Earth Leakage during relay test. Typically in a VAN/Boat/RV the battery is always connected to the inverter. So not a problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
rns avatar image
rns answered ·

I'm completely lost now. The multiplus should be possible to connect to mains and even can send power back to the grid so in that situation it has to be connected to an earth leakage protection. I understand that in most situations the battery is connected but there are situations where the battery will not be connected. (maintenance, bms disconnect because off cell unbalance, bms failure, ....) I can't understand this would trigger an earth leakage because in that situation the complete installations becomes offline while the advantage of the multiplus is now exactly that it is multi purpose.

4 comments
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
The multiplus can be connected to the grid for export in a fixed install.

In a fixed install you will have your main feed coming from the grid.
Main Isolator/Breaker -> Multiplus Breaker -> Multiplus -> RCD/Earth Leakage -> Plugs/Light Breakers. I am not aware of any country that will require RCD before inverter.

Relay Tests only really happen when Multiplus is turned on or if grid is lost. This is when the grounding relay kicks in. The multiplus is not designed to run without a battery, if the BMS disconnects the unit will most likely trip off due to DC ripple.

For maintenance and other failures we normally install a transfer switch which moves loads from Multi output to grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
rns avatar image rns shaneyake commented ·

Normally after the grid main isolater we require an earth leakage from 300mA and even 30mA for rooms like bathroom or outdoor. After that we have the brakers for the individual circuits. I plugged the multiplus in a wall socket from my garage that is behind the 30mA earth leakage. This is temporarily just to get the multiplus programmed and tested with the battery. The final install will be a seperate breaker for the multiplus but this braker will alwasy be behind a 300mA or even a 30mA earth leak from my main electricity panel.

0 Likes 0 ·
hjohnson avatar image hjohnson rns commented ·
In n this situation, connect it to your battery, power it on, then plug into the socket. It does the relay test on startup. Once it’s on, it will be fine.
0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake rns commented ·

What country are you in?

It is very strange to require RCD protection on a fixed device that has an earthed metal case. Most regulations have an exemption for equipment like the Multiplus.

I totally understand having 30ma RCD protection on outlets and other appliances and I am particularly fond of RCBO where each circuit can have it's own RCD protection.

0 Likes 0 ·
rns avatar image
rns answered ·

Thank you all for the feedback. Will build the battery first and test again. Waiting for the last connectors to start the build.

2 |3000