question

nostromo avatar image
nostromo asked

Battery in floating even if the load higher then the solar power

Dear All,

Can someone have an idea why the Multiplus II stay in float mode even if the required power for the load is higher then the solar power. Normally, battery power must be combined with solar power to absorb the load power.

Best regards

float
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

timbo avatar image timbo commented ·
I would love to know that too. I had similar situations when load was high but Multi remained in float and PV support assistant kept high frequency not allowing solar inverter to generate more energy (this is AC coupled off-grid system controlled by frequency shift). So, all power went from battery and not from solar panels.

The only way out of that situation was to restart Multi. It did not happen often. Hopefully it was fixed with the latest update as I did not have any problems after updating Multi's firmware recently.
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

By default the Multi will switch out of float when battery voltage drops. Normally it will use AC in before draining the batteries. To change this you need to change the settings in the multi.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Yes, normally it should but sometimes it does not. I have seen cases when batteries went down to 80% but Multi was "frozen" in float at high frequency, which allowed absolute minimal generation on solar inverter (grid type). Multi restart helped to get Multi from that "frozen" state to normal.

I had these problems on a regular basis in the past but not recently.

0 Likes 0 ·
nostromo avatar image
nostromo answered ·

In my case the PV inverter is on the AC Input of the Multi.

@ kevgermay Where to change the setting in the multi ?

3 comments
2 |3000

There are settings for float/absorption states but I don't believe they are relevant to your case. This is a mistake in Multi/Assistant. Try to update to the latest firmware.

I was waiting this problem to be fixed for several years doing manual Multi restart to get out of that "frozen" state back to normal - thanks to Victron it is possible to do it remotely. I was updating firmware on a regular basis with no change. But after the last update two or three months ago, the problem disappeared. Hopefully forever.

0 Likes 0 ·
nostromo avatar image nostromo timbo commented ·
Dear, thanks for advise. I just get a new software update for the Mukltiplus II GX. I reloaded a configuration file with ESS and AC current sensor and problem still the same.

I feel more and more that Victron software is not robust and don't promise what is writen in the manual. Lot of bugs in a not matured soft.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Most can be changed on a GX device, otherwise you need a MK3 to USB adapter and a laptop. And VE Configure software.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic