question

jeremy-ljt avatar image
jeremy-ljt asked

"only" 160A from a 200A charger (Quattro 8KW)

Hi all,

Is it normal my Quattro 8000/200 is only charging at around 160A ? I was expecting 200A as advertised...

My LiFePo4 battery is at 75% soc ; 1200A capacity, and it accept charge at 1C, so 200A charging is not a problem for them.

The grid AC is 64A. (I've also tested from my 8KW generator)...

The wires from the Quattro to the battery are less than 2m long, and are 2x70mm2 (2x positives + 2x negatives).

It's a brand new install, all connections are very clean.

I've removed the shore power limit and the charge limit in the Quattro configuration.

So is it normal that the 200A Victron charger only deliver 160A ?

Or should is there something I should check again ?

Thanks,

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

First check the charge limits the BMS is sending to the multi, those can and do drop.

If that is normal, then yes, at least with ESS, the multi does not charge at near capacity. Mine don't.

I have asked about this and never got an answer, as it seems to be hard set.

I would think the multi is reserving power to react to loads.

Mine seem to settle to below 50% of the available limit, which is annoying when you want to top-up quickly.

edit: What are the limits set to on the quattro itself?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Please be more specific about the model, voltage for instance.

2 |3000

Trevor Bird avatar image
Trevor Bird answered ·

My experience has been the Quattro delivers the nameplate current. I propose a reason the 200 amps may not be delivered to the batteries is a DC load connected to the batteries is using the other 40amps or in the absence of a DC load the batteries may have too high an internal resistance to accept the 200 amp charge. I have seen the 12 volt Quattro 12/5000/220 and the 24/5000/120 deliver very close to the full amount. I have never dealt with the 8000 but can confirm the 5000 delivers what the nameplate says.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Is the Quattro configured to deliver the full current? This is not the default setting.

2 |3000