question

drmi avatar image
drmi asked

Two Multiplus parallel in AC out possible?

I've a question for professionals.

I've installed a 3ph-ESS-System (3x Multiplus 48/5000), where my house is connected on AC out.

1.) Is it possible to connect a further Multiplus with his own AC out to the AC out of my 3ph System (p.i. on L1)?

2.) Would it be possible to install a generator on AC in of this further Multiplus in order to get some new energy in AC out of the 3 phase System?

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Regards Michael

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi Michael,

As for q1, no. You will need to add a multi to each phase, not just one of them.

Q2, again no. You could connect a generator to the system as it is, but will need a three phase gen as the multi in three phase configuration won’t accept a single phase input. Further to that, you’ll need to program the mulit’s to accept the generator input as it’s not as stable as the grid. If you are grid connected and the setting are already for the grid, it won’t be possible to run both grid and generator on a single input in ESS configuration unless you either: disable LOM (non compliant) or set to LOM type B, which might still not accept the gen input.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

It is possible to have a differnt number of Multi's on each phase, they must all be the same model of course.

It is possible to have 2 Multi's on phase L1 and then one Multi on phase L2 and one Multi on phase L3. Then you can connect a single phase generator on the Master Multi on phase L1.

Make sure that the Multi which is connected to the generator can charge with enough power to a) charge the battery and b) support phase L2 and L3 also (which will be inverting).

0 Likes 0 ·
drmi avatar image
drmi answered ·

Thank you for your answer. Well, I understand all the problems of integrating a 1-phase Generator into a 3-phase system.

Fortunately there is another 1-phase system in my home (:-) ) which consists of

-> 1 x Easymaster 48/5000

-> OPZV 48v / 100Ah

-> 1 x Color Control

On this AC Out there are some current circuits - see graph, please.

Is it possible to install a further Multiplus with

-> AC IN: Generator

-> AC OUT: connected to AC Out of Easymaster system ?

Regards! Michael

schema.jpg (54.6 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

No, do not connect the outputs of two inverters (except when they're configured parallel)

What you can do is connect the output of the first to the input of the second inverter.

To easily connect a generator you'll need a transfer switch, or buy a Quattro unit as these already have dual inputs.

0 Likes 0 ·
drmi avatar image drmi boekel ♦ commented ·

Thank you for your clarification.

You wrote:

What you can do is connect the output of the first to the input of the second inverter.

Does it mean that the following situation is possible:

Regards! Michael

0 Likes 0 ·
schema-1.jpg (34.2 KiB)
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ drmi commented ·

No you don't connect an input source to the output of an inverter!

you need a transfer switch between the sources (grid / generator)

I'll ad a separate answer with questions.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

What exactly do you want to accomplish? a 4,8 kWh lead-acid battery to a 3k unit isn't exactly a good setup...
Please explain what you want, but also:

Please get an expert involved, before you damage systems / batteries / etc.

2 |3000