question

tara-dee avatar image
tara-dee asked

Orion Non-Isolated + MPPT Question

Hi all, Q.s re 24v electric motor + 12v domestic setup on my boat.

Have 2 banks of solar 780w and 160w both charging my 24v batteries via separate MPPTs.

After a few rethinks, I'm thinking of fitting a 24/12 10a Orion non-isolated converter to power 12v appliances, and placing a LA buffer battery in parallel on the outputs. As far as I understand running converter at full load is more efficient. And the buffer battery would ‘step in’ and handle occasional loads above converter output. Want to be 100% this is correct?

To recharge the buffer battery, I was thinking I could fit a 2 pole 1-2 changeover switch to MPPT outputs of my 160w solar https://www.bimblesolar.com/changeoverswitch

If I were to changeover MPPT outputs between 24v and 12v battery systems, would the MPPT parameters automatically adjust to the new voltage?

Would I need to disconnect the 24/12 Orion from buffer battery when using an MPPT to charge it? Orion low power converters output voltage about ~12.7v. Would MPPT think this is the buffer battery voltage and go straight into float mode?

Thanks

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

I've explained most of this already. So not repeating myself.

Don't disconnect the batteries from the MPPTs without first disconnecting the panels.

No point in adding complications. Simply charge the 12V from the Orion. It will do what you want.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.