question

jtbedard avatar image
jtbedard asked

After 1 year BMV-712 giving wild readings

Hey Everyone,

First off thank you for helping me. I've searched the forums for 30 minutes or so and didn't find anything exactly pertaining to my issue, mainly the fact that my system has been fine for over a year.

My system (self built van build) has been working perfectly for 18 months. In fact it still is, but the BMV-712 has started freaking out. For instance, it will show positive 20A input current when the sun has set (no solar) and the vehicle is not running or plugged into shore power.

Sometimes it will bounce between negative 10 amps and positive 20 amps within a few seconds. Crazy. Oddly enough, sometimes the measured current appears reasonable but I haven't bothered to measure or corroborate since it's usually wildly inaccurate.

I moved the UTP cable around and nothing changed. All the connections are unchanged from when i originally wired it up and look solid.

The back of the BMV is pretty exposed (it's mounted on the end of a closet) and sometimes clothes might rub against it, but visually it looks fine.

Any thoughts or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated!

Josh

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Check the (+) power cable (or temp sensor if using that instead) for proper retention in the BMV terminal. check both ends and any fuse holder for corrosion and proper seating on the battery terminal.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.