question

bmac avatar image
bmac asked

Pylontech US3000C not visible as device on Easysolar CCGX

Hi – in process of replacing FLA batteries.

EasySolar 48/3000 150/70

Updated Firmware to the following :

• MPPT 1.59
  • Multi 494
  • CCGX 2.84

As per Victron instructions :

• Changed Baud rate to CAN-bus BMS (500 kbit/s)
  • Turned on DVCC

Condition:

• Pylontech batteries not showing under Devices on CCGX
  • Batteries voltage is showing on CCGX
  • On the batteries their LED’s are showing state of charge status & green “RUN” LED flashing intermittently.
  • No red / Alarm LED showing on batteries
  • RJ45 cable oriented as per labelling on it between batteries & CCGX (supplied with Victron cable kit)

One of the troubleshooting items in the Pylontech manual was to connect generator and see if batteries can accept charge which they were able to do.

Thoughts on what to check next?

Not sure if relevant - on the CCGX under "Network Status" the below photo was when i reverted back to the FLA however when had the Pylontech connected from memory (as i didn't take a photo) i think there was 3 packets RX, none TX, & the field 'Err passive' was a value >0, can't recall the other values.

1648848854406.png

Thanks

Pylontech
1648848854406.png (2.4 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Make sure it is a VE.Can to CAN-bus BMS type A Cable and not the one that came with the battery. Do you have a terminator on the CCGX? Try turning the cable around just in case it was labelled wrong.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bmac avatar image bmac commented ·
Cable as per Victron cable kit purchased in addition to batteries, not Pylontech.

Tried cable reversed - no luck.

Terminator in place on CCGX with RJ45 to battery in the other VE.can port on the CCGX.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Apart from rebooting the CCGX and restarting the batteries, which I am sure you have done, a battery firmware update may also be worth a try. Unless you have a spare battery, comms cable and even GX, it becomes more challenging to problem solve. It could even be a bent pin on one of the ports. Maybe approach the dealer for advice too.

1 comment
2 |3000

thanks. yes tried those. ah, no don't have spare battery etc ha ha.

not keen touching battery firmware 1648894265633.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1648894265633.png (4.4 KiB)
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Is the Can-Bus wire connected to the correct port on the battery (A/CAN) and the CCGX (VE.Can)?

If you think everything is correct, contact the seller from whom you bought your components.
Maybe the cable is faulty?

3 comments
2 |3000

hi - yes cables connected to correct ports. tried both VE.Can ports moving the terminator to the other port.

Is there a way to check the VE.Can port is working? Got an old laptop with ethernet port and CAT5 cable laying around - can that be used? Is the CCGX "Network Status" screen able to highlight anything to confirm the port is working? makes sense to check this now as transport would take over a week for the new cable to arrive if dealer agreed to send one.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ bmac commented ·
You can't use a network port to test CAN.

0 Likes 0 ·
bmac avatar image bmac nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
OK. But the question still remains - how to identify if the VE.Can port(s) on the CCGX are working? Cheers.
0 Likes 0 ·
kev avatar image
kev answered ·

I hope someone can solve this. I helped a friend install a system with a CCGX and a Batrium BMS but we were never able to get the two talking to each other. We tried everything we could think of but to no avail. We had followed the directions on the Batrium web site, checked CAN bus cable and Baud rate, updated all firmware etc. What was really frustrating, a few months before this I had helped my brother setup his system which also had a CCGX and Batrium BMS and that worked perfectly for startup.

2 |3000

bmac avatar image
bmac answered ·

Got home last night and CCGX showing 1W for AC loads (no matter what size loads connected). Was showing correctly when i left few hours earlier.

Pulled multi cable to CCGX out and reinserted. No difference once reinserted.

Put generator on and AC Input would show (correct) but the AC Load value would match it then the generator would be kicked out. This just kept repeating.

Had a look on this forum and seems no end of people having an issue of AC Loads showing incorrectly but could not see any reason given.

Took the advice from this post and back to normal only once disconnecting batteries (had done system reboot but no change).

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/81171/ac-loads-on-ccgx-only-shows-1w-load.html

Will be contacting vendor about battery comms today but can someone please advise how to check the VE.Can port on the CCGX. Cheers.

4 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

There is a post where it is stated that on some devices the MP external current sensor socket may be stuck and simply inserting a headphone plug in it and then removing it solves the AC problem. Also, maybe worth exploring the dedicated Pylontech facebook group for suggestions too, but until you have not tried a different comms cable, it is probably going nowhere other than back to the dealer.

0 Likes 0 ·
bmac avatar image bmac ejrossouw commented ·

Hi - emailed the vendor this morning so shall hear back on the cable front soon hopefully fingers crossed.

Saw the post you referred to albeit my issue was resolved by disconnecting batteries so sounds like bit of a glitch.

Reconnected batteries again to get a photo of the VE.Can port screen after powering down unit and connecting the new batteries - maybe this will also assist in the troubleshooting. If i'm reading it correctly the Ve.Can port received 3 packets but then records an error and does not transmit any packets back to the batteries???

1649028806561.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1649028806561.png (2.4 MiB)
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw bmac commented ·

Glad the AC error is sorted, but most peculiar. Without a port analyser to test both ports it will be difficult. I stand to be corrected, but it goes into passive when it receives anomalies so it could other than a cable be a suspect port on the battery. The dip switches you left alone and do know they are upside if you changed anything?

0 Likes 0 ·
bmac avatar image bmac ejrossouw commented ·

wow.....mea culpa time. i got the wrong cable.1649106141457.png

Have purchased correct one. Will update once up and going. Cheers.

0 Likes 0 ·
1649106141457.png (11.9 KiB)