question

skamp_x@hotmail.com avatar image
skamp_x@hotmail.com asked

MPPT'S in parallels and series

Hi there,

I got 2 sets off panels , 8x65watts south-east, 4x115watt set to south west.

both are a mix of 2 sets of panels in series to get the voltage to 40+ or so volt.

So far i hooked both sides up in parallel to produce together, but during early day, the west part will be lower voltage and reduce east side production, and later in the day the west will be held back by the east part.

So far all connected to a 100/20mppt.(and been working fine for over a year).

I did get a 2nd 100/20 mppt to connect them both in parallel (not tried yet), from what i hear it should work ok,

Just bought a 100/50 mppt , but it would still suffer the problem of both banks reducing production from eachother during shift of day.

Using 2 mppt in parallel would solve this, but would really like a Master mppt (100/50) on top of it, so i can see the combined production every day.

So now the question is , would it work to have a main mppt (100/50) have 2 mppt's 100/20 (in parallel) behind it in series.

Will the mppt 50/100 accept the input from the other mppts in parallel before it?

I guess the short question would be, what happens if you put 2 mppt's in series?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@skamp_x@hotmail.com

The best way to get a combined production total is to use a gx device. The gx then can report each individual production and a grand total.

A bmv would also give a charge total for the two, but not with the details you are probably looking for.

You can build a simple one for mppts with a Raspberry Pi and get a few ve direct to usb cables. It will be cheaper than a grand master mppt. The design you are proposing is not supported.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.