question

lyric avatar image
lyric asked

Multiplus compact smoke fire

Multiplus2.pdfMultiplus1.pdfHello all.

I'm really at a loss here. I have a brand new muliplus compact 12/1600/70-12 that has gone thru setup and was switched into inverter mode to bench test the setup when the inverter began to make a buzzing and crackling sound followed by smoke and a small localized fire. I switched off the front panel on the multi immediately and killed the battery switch.

The DC power for the multi was powered off of a lynx distributor. The same setup was used to bench test and setup a mppt and cerbo gx without issue. The battery voltage at the time was approximately 13.2V. The fusing and external wiring all appear unscathed.

I have wrote to my reseller where purchased but that was just yesterday. I am posting this in the hope that someone here might have an idea of what has failed as these units appear robust.

Thanks.

Multiplus-II
multiplus2.pdf (1.5 MiB)
multiplus1.pdf (1.6 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
fhocorp avatar image
fhocorp answered ·

Hi. Based on your pictures, this is the power module in the multi that has failed. The sounds and smoke were the transistors/mosfets that burned. I had severals problems like this when an incompatible load was made in the 230V output. What type of devices did you have connected to the 230V load output ? Fluo lamps with ferromagnetic ballast and electric radiator (3000W) are strongly discouraged because of this type of problem.

Contact your reseller about the device warranty. Try a device replacement if you can.

In the case you can't do anything (expired warranty of issue not covered by the warranty), you have to buy a new one or trying repair the burned mosfets/transistor on the device.

Good luck and keep me informed :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lyric avatar image
lyric answered ·

The setup was wired to an old school 230v 60 watt incadescent light bulb as a test. Immediately after switching the multiplus front panel switch from charger only mode to invert it became noisy with a buzz crackle sound, smoked and caught fire. I'm really glad this was on my bench and not in the boat. Thank you for explaining what that component was that burnt up. I hope they are able to exchange it quickly for a new rather than repair.

2 |3000

fhocorp avatar image
fhocorp answered ·

@Lyric OK. An incandescent light bulb is working normally great on this device. It seems an hardware failure,probably a faulty device on the PCB. I'm glad i helped someone today :) I am at your disposal if required. Have a nice day

2 |3000

lyric avatar image
lyric answered ·

Quick update. I unfortunately have a unresponsive seller. I wrote them March 25th and again April 05th and have not received a response. The seller was very prompt to ship my original order so I would have hoped for an equally fast response with a claim.

The company is in Germany. If someone here on this forum has a connection there or perhaps a Victron representative is reading this and can lend a hand I would be appreciative. I hope it is just a communication issue and not a bigger sign.

3 comments
2 |3000

klandos avatar image klandos commented ·
Which company is it?
0 Likes 0 ·
lyric avatar image lyric klandos commented ·
Is there a way to reply privately. I don't feel good to publically bash a company until I know how they stand. Of course, there's a limit to how long I will keep quiet and their lack of response is concerning.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ lyric commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·