question

zoodles avatar image
zoodles asked

Is this Circuit Enough

Changing wiring in my boat for Lithiums...

I plan to still use the 1,2,Both switch so that I can isolate start battery, esp. when running windlass as I don't want to trip BMS. I plan to use an isolator and Orion Smart DC-DC charger...

Schematic attached. Any red flags??

wiring-draft.jpg

wiring diagram
wiring-draft.jpg (363.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
johnsmith avatar image
johnsmith answered ·

1. Isolator on your MPPT charger side

2. Isolator on PV side

3. You need a fuse on your house battery

I will have a look at the rest tomorrow.

The above is a circuit diagram, you would be better drawing your wiring diagram from this to see where physical components are going to go.

cheers

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

If your goal is to not have the windlass draw current from the house battery, why not connect it directly to the starter battery?

The way this is wired, the starter would also draw current from the house battery. This would probably have the same issues as the windlass. I would think you would want a direct connection between starter battery and starter also.

Solar can't charge the starter battery.

Avoid the "both" position of your battery switch as you would be connecting two different battery types together. Both can be used in an emergency to charge the starter battery from the house battery, but your concern of a BMS overcurrent fault could result of the starter battery was very low or you try to start the engine from the house battery.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic