question

bogusman avatar image
bogusman asked

monitor DC power to inverter?

I've got a SmartShunt and SmartSolar charge controller that I dearly love - used to have a Renogy charger controller but the Blue Tooth connectivity was funky. Well worth the $$ to upgrade to Victron. I've recently installed a Renogy 2KW inverter but the SmartShunt doesn't see the inverter load when it's turned on. I assume that I can install a second SmartShunt on the inverter minus leg and get visibility into that load. Is that the best approach to this?

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Take another look into the manual of the SmartShunt.

The SmartShunt should be the only thing connected to the battery negative, everything else have to be connected to the "system side" of the SmartShunt.

I guess you have connected the negative of the inverter directly to the battery.

That is a very common wiring issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bogusman avatar image bogusman commented ·
Thank's for the tip, Matthias. I do indeed have the inverter connected to the battery minus, largely because of the size of the inverter supply wires. Both + and - are 4 AWG x 2 because of the potentially huge DC current the inverter could draw depending on the load. I'll likely have to do some rewiring to make sure the - side can handle that.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic