question

pda1 avatar image
pda1 asked

mppt backfeeding panels?

My system is a 24v one. I think the mppt 150/60 is backfeeding the panels when it's dark. Voltage at the mppt panel input terminals when dark is 26.9v. Even when the panel wires are disconnected there's still the same voltage at the mppt panel input terminals.

The mppt indicates it's in Bulk mode.

Does this indicate a faulty mppt?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@PDA1

If there is no PV connected at all there should be no voltage on the pv terminals. I just checked two of mine.

If pv is connected at night there will be battery voltage maybe plus 0.1 or 0.2v with the meter.

What does the app say about the charger state or condition? Does it still work otherwise?

In theory the diodes in the panels will prevent power dissipation out that way?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Modern panels are typically fittted with bypass diodes, which is different to blocking diodes. Blocking diodes you typically find fitted inline at the time of an install, although I have not seen many installations with them since charge controllers in general usually offer protection against reverse currents.

0 Likes 0 ·
pda1 avatar image
pda1 answered ·

I will check it again tonight.

2 |3000

pda1 avatar image
pda1 answered ·

Not sure if this is related but my system also has a BMV 712 which usually shows a draw of about .32 amps or about 9 watts when it's dark. I assume this is the power required to run the 2 bms in the 2 Battle Born batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@PDA1

The bmv measures what is coming out of the battery through the shunt .

9w sounds about right for an mppt on standby and a bmv.

If that is all that is being drawn out of the battery, then I dont think you are feeding power back out the panels, the drain does not suggest that at all.

0 Likes 0 ·
pda1 avatar image
pda1 answered ·

There is voltage at the panel terminals of the mppt which is fed to the panels and the same voltage at the panels. So, there must be some problem.

Though not mentioned there is a current draw of about .17ma at the combiner box output from the panels.

I'll find out more tonight.....

2 |3000

pda1 avatar image
pda1 answered ·

It's dark and I checked the mppt. There is about 27.01v at the PV terminals of the mppt.

The Battery State is Off

'Don't know what the "Vitural Load Output----State---On is about or if it's set incorrectly.

Here's a screenshot of the mppt VictronConnect figures

mppt.png

mppt.png (51.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Detecting battery voltage on disconnected PV terminals typically indicates a fault with the MPPT, please get in touch with your Victron dealer to discuss a solution.

2 comments
2 |3000

pda1 avatar image pda1 commented ·
Ok, will do.
0 Likes 0 ·
pda1 avatar image pda1 pda1 commented ·

Battle Born sent me a new 150/60-TR and it works as designed- only about .5v +/- at night (from local street lights probably). 'Am very pleased with both Battle Born and Victron's assistance and help.

1 Like 1 ·
greendovefarms avatar image
greendovefarms answered ·

Sounds like your diodes in the MMPT have been damaged, this can be caused by powering up the MMPT with a reversed polarity on one of the strings

(I have seen this before)!!

No warranty from a bad install

3 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Greendovefarms

Reverse polarity shouldn't actually do that. The datasheet claims protection against it. To me that means warranty still valid, even if that caused the failure.

0 Likes 0 ·
greendovefarms avatar image greendovefarms JohnC ♦ commented ·
I have seen it first hand. Customer had his polarities mixed in his combiner box and turned on his PV DC disconnect on.

How can it be warranted when the customer caused the damage to the MMTP ?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ greendovefarms commented ·
Because they are specified (and advertised) to not fail under reverse string polarity. Other mistakes like over V or I are warned about - no warranty there.
0 Likes 0 ·