question

ben3712 avatar image
ben3712 asked

BMV-712 dead

We have a LiFePO4 solar system in our campervan. Our BMV-712 was connected for about a month and worked fine. When the weather got cold, I shut the whole system down. It's warm today, so I started everything up and the BMV-712 is dead. The batteries are showing healthy through the smart charger, but the BMV desplay is dead. Thoughts?

Can I reset it?

bmv-712
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

If you would like to double check the correct installation of the unit, there are two excellent videos. One is made by Victron, the other contributed by an experienced youtuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRljOaTdc3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW-v8PNx2C4

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

If you have tested the voltage at the unit and believe there is a fault, you are best to follow the support steps and you will get it made right.

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

2 comments
2 |3000

ben3712 avatar image ben3712 commented ·

I followed all the steps, and that's what brought me here (step 4).

I read the manual and found no help. I performed a system check and everything is healthy. I purchased from Amazon and they can't help (other than send a new one). Now, I am here asking if there is something I missed.

Do you have any more suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ ben3712 commented ·

Good to hear you have followed the support steps, but Step 3 is where this should be resolved.

If the device is not functioning after reading the manual and confirming connections, it is a matter that will need to be resolved by the place from which you have purchased.

0 Likes 0 ·
ben3712 avatar image
ben3712 answered ·

Oh, I see, so you don't actually provide any support or guided troubleshooting. Interesting. Is that because there is nothing to troubleshoot? Or just because you don't want to support your product?

Good thing I bought it from Amazon and they will replace it for free.

2 comments
2 |3000

Correct; the support for a BMV that isn't working is to read the manual, check the connections and test the voltage at the point of connection. If that all looks ok, then the next step is to contact the supplier for replacement.

All Victron suppliers will replace this part free of charge for 5 years from the purchase date, after having satisfied their tests (mentioned above) that confirm the unit itself is at fault.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@Ben3712 In fairness, this is a user community and not a support service, although you will find everyone helpful sharing their experiences and often helping others. Like with your car, the supplier/dealer typically should provide sales advice and after sales support. As a last resort, if Amazon cannot resolve the issue, a dedicated support team at Victron may be able to help. (PS - Don't confuse an easy return mechanism for service as Amazon cannot provide you with any technical advice etc. Dealer networks serve a clear purpose as you can imagine.)

0 Likes 0 ·
Fred King avatar image
Fred King answered ·

My BMV 712 also simply stopped working after only 6 weeks of use. I've checked the fused link, all seems fine. IS there a wiring diagram for the data cable from the shunt to the head unit, pin outs, so I can determine if there is an issue with power in the cable itself?

1 comment
2 |3000

glennhalm avatar image glennhalm commented ·

I purchased my BMV-712 about 6 weeks ago, installed it under RV chassis, and everything worked fine for a couple of weeks. Because I used split casing over the wires in a waterproof box, I believe moisture has seeped in through the casing and damaged my shunt board. First, temperature showed 3F when it was 65F outside. Then, it stopped showing power consumed. Finally, nothing. Fuse is still good with a power reading at the shunt. Cleaned all terminals with alcohol on a swab, did no good. Anything else to try, or just order new board?

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic