question

badumi1 avatar image
badumi1 asked

MPPT Networked operation, charge voltage to low.

Hallo,

How can I change charge voltage in MPPT under Networked operation? I have pylontech batteries and they can be charged up to 53,2V but I can not get over 52V as MPPT stops charging around 52.0. MPPT is set up on Bulk 53,2, Abs 53,0 according to datasheet from Pylontech but MPPT blocks it at 52V. It is only one MPPT in the system.

One picture is parameters from the batteries.

The other one from MPPT under Networked operation.

Thank you for help.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Can it be that there is a 52V maximum setting in the MPPT? I know with Multi's the set min/max voltages still have a priority in ESS mode

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

badumi1 avatar image badumi1 commented ·

MPPT is set for 53,2 and ABS 53.0. Even I raised them up and nothing happens. Any clue?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ badumi1 commented ·

Nope, but @mvader (Victron Energy Staff) and his team are working on new firmware for the MPPT range, maybe he can look into this issue and see where the different voltages come from.

Just to make sure: Pylontech BMS is selected as 'battery monitor'?

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

Under the Network section it shows that the MPPT is a Slave to the Pylontech BMS. I believe that means it does not matter what you set the MPPT parameters to, the BMS is going to control the Voltage and possibly Amperage going to the batteries. For what ever reason, could be temperature compensation or something else, the Pylontech BMS is restricting the voltage to 52.00V.

Please check with Pylontech support to confirm the above.

Pat

1 comment
2 |3000

badumi1 avatar image badumi1 commented ·

Hallo,

Will ask pylontech on information above. Thank you for a hint.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michael Riley avatar image
Michael Riley answered ·

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff), @Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff), @Boekel

Hi, I have the same problem with low MPPT charge voltage on MPPT150/70 & LiPo 24/200 AH x 2 with VE.Bus BMS and Venus and was hoping for a clue. Unable to determine where the charge voltage can be set higher than 26.5 v - i.e. trying to get it to 28.5 volts.

2 |3000

craigtong avatar image
craigtong answered ·

Hi all

Did anyone make any progress on this issue? I see it's been 2 years since the last post.

I'm seeing similar behaviour on a MPPT150/60 and MPPT150/70 and 2x Hubble AM2 batteries. The Charge Voltage Limit is correctly reported as 53.6 V for the batteries, but the charge set point voltage that the MPPTs use is 52.4 V. This means the batteries don't get reset properly at full SoC.

My gut tells me this might be the BMS sending the wrong information to the GX. Is there an additional set point message that the BMS's provide over and above the CVL?

Coincidentally, I think Hubble borrowed some of Pylontech's protocol.

Edit:

I just found this in the document titled Victron & Pylontech UP2500, US2000, US3000, US2000C, US3000C, US5000, US5000B, UP5000, Phantom-S, Force-L1 & L2:

Which makes me very suspicious.
It's unclear to me if this is from Victron or Pylontech. If this is the GX overriding the value and the Hubble is detected as a Pylontech (which it seems to be) then it would explain the behaviour.

screenshot-20220818-140013.png

Further insights:

Ok so I believe I have solved my problem. It seems this charge voltage limit is imposed by the GX, overriding the BMS's recommended charge voltage when detecting Pylontech batteries based on what is deemed to be best for their health.

The Hubbles, when connected directly via Canbus without their extra Cloudlink device are detected as Pylontechs and therefore are subject the same voltage limiting by the GX. I have since added their Cloudlink device (which sits between the batteries and the GX) which results in the batteries are not detected as Pylontechs anymore but rather as a Hubble product. I needed to to run a "redetect" on the battery in the GX menu to get which seems to have updated the MPPT's set point to correct 53.6V in my case.

Apologies if I have rewoken a dead thread and hijacked the topic somewhat although it is, I believe still related an hopefully will help someone down the line.

Granted at the time of me writing writing this, Hubble is not an officially supported battery by Victron. I will feed this info back to Hubble so that they update their documentation and possibly firmware.

2 |3000