question

heuchtech avatar image
heuchtech asked

Automatic phase balancing

Hi All,

We have a 3 phase system that is being serviced by 3 x quattro 15000 (one per phase), a backup generator and a 3 phase AC coupled solar inverter.

We're having problems with voltage rise when the generator runs and that causes it to trip it's own internal safety and locks itself out, stopping it from automatically starting again later.

We have balanced the phases as best we can, but the way the site works, it's often unpredictable how it'll be used day to day.

Putting that aside, I read in THIS THREAD that phase balancing is a possible function of Victron units and a comment states that Quattros should behave the same as Multis, but I'm still unclear as to whether this is achieved automatically, or whether it's something I have to configure manually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance to all.

Cheers,

Rob

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@HeuchTech

There is multiphase regulation with ESS on a three phase. The article describes how it works.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mblowes avatar image
mblowes answered ·

Did you get a workable answer? Seems no as they refer to grid. I have similar situation (18kVA Multiplus in 3 phase config) with a further 9kW of Goodwe inverters on AC site for daytime boost (max avail 27kVA 3ɸ ie 9kW per phase). Initially ok, but as I find more and more uses for energy balancing as become an issue. Especially re Goodwe's as the Multiplus control and will only accept balanced gen from them and only up to the min load phase.. SO, for example , if i have a load of 6/4/2 then the goodwe can deliver approx 6 (2/2/2). I want to ramp bigtime.. and found that a mob in China that might have a box to do this trick. Over the next 6 months I will trial one to see if it works.. I'm still in due diligence stage but if I understand correctly it could so 20 / 2/ 2 for me on my system: with the Multiplus / Goodwe's seeing a load of 6/6/6. This is an unlikely extreme example , but highly interesting. I have a small electric car. It is has a built in single phase charger to 7kW. This is too big for my Victron system (@ 6kVA per phase) ..I'd looked at a smalle 3 phase / DC charger but these are all $2k ++. This balancer looks like it will be about $1.5 plus freight and tax.. solving this problem and many others. It also cleans harmonics (not a known problem but could be with genset o/p) but importantly also corrects PF. I'd assumed my PF was > 0.9 but I'm just learning with water pump and a growing number of AC units PF is closer to 0.7. This Chinese should solve this too.

2 |3000