question

ben211286 avatar image
ben211286 asked

Charging 2 banks with MPPT 75/15 and Bluesea ACR

Hi,

I have 2 banks in my boat and a Bluesea ACR to manage the charging between them from the outboard. Now I am interested in adding a solar system for charging with MPPT 75/15.

Will I be able to charge both banks with one MPPT 75/15? if so how should I do it?
Can I just use the Bluesea ACR to manage the charging from the MPPT?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
christern avatar image
christern answered ·

You can go two ways:

Either you assume the starting battery, which I assume is one of the banks and used only for starting, will keep charged without any further charging and let the solar panels charge only the house battery/ies. In this case you connect the mppt to the house battery.

Or you need also the starting battery to be charged (which is not so likely) and connect the regulator to the starting battery which will charge also the house battery. This could however mean that the starting battery gets overcharged, i.e. the voltage from the solar panels will be too high for a fully charged battery and shorten the life of this battery.

(I'm not an expert but this is what I have learned)

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

christern avatar image christern commented ·

I must admit I misread the specs of the Bluesea ACR! Sorry.

Just follow this instruction and replace the charger with the regulator for the solarpanels.

https://d2pyqm2yd3fw2i.cloudfront.net/files/resources/wiring_diagram/7610QuickInstall-w-BatteryCharger.png

0 Likes 0 ·
christern avatar image
christern answered ·

Here is another type of input for you that suggests, with good reasons if you discharge your house batteries a lot, putting the charger on the house-side

ACR Inrush Current and relay

2 |3000