question

aserio avatar image
aserio asked

Multiplus Compact 24/2000 Charging Tesla Model S Battery

Greetings

I have putting together my setup and recently received my Multiplus Compact, what a nice unit! After inital configuration i discovered that in the charger settings aren't conducive to Tesla LiIon batteries.

Question 1: Does anyone have this battery, what settings do you set in the charger tab?

Question 2: I have AC In connected, is there a way to prioritize solar over AC In?

Thank you

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

I'd use:

-charge voltage (in old terms: absorbtion) 6x 4.1 V = 24.6 V

-float I usually set a little bit lower to prevent trickle charging: 24.6V (or 24.5) [edit, this was first a typo, adjusted)

-discharge voltage: 6x 3.3V = 19.8V

Pleas note: a battery protect only works in one direction, and is not adviced to use between battery and inverter.
What BMS are you going to use?

I'm not using a Tesla module myself at the moment, but other 6s battery modules with Tesla BMS slaves (plus SimpBMS)

12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

aserio avatar image aserio commented ·

Thanks Boekel.

I will use those settings.

So i should remove the battery protect from in between the battery and inverter? Where should i place in the diagram?

As far as BMS, I am still waiting for the Batrium WatchmonPlus which they promise it will manage these cells. I have also looked at Tom's simpBMS, i've asked him, via PM, if he has any in stock. I am not sure however if my slave (see below) will work.

0 Likes 0 ·
tesla-slave-bms.jpg (137.8 KiB)
sean avatar image sean aserio commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
aserio avatar image aserio sean commented ·

Thank you

I have sent a PM to the seller.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ aserio commented ·

These are not the original boards from Tom, so ask if the seller supports them

(the working software is for V2 / V2.1 boards, using a different CANbus chip)

(the V1 hardware only had 10 boards hand made by Tom, most of them I own ;)

0 Likes 0 ·

Tom's BMS works perfectly with that slave board, and with Victron systems. (CANbus to the Venus)

It's currently out of stock, new batch is being made.

I'd use a breaker between the battery and the rest of the system, the SimpBMS has an output that triggers at over voltage / under voltage / over temperature, and I use that to activate a trip-unit coupled to the breaker.

0 Likes 0 ·
aserio avatar image aserio boekel ♦ commented ·

I will keep an eye out for them, once them are in stock I'll grad a few. Have you looked at the Batrium upcoming WatchmonPlus, any advice?

thank you

0 Likes 0 ·

I do not have experience with Batrium, only with REC

If you can re-use the existing OEM CMU (BMS slave boards) that is of course a big plus.

If you do choose another bms, also take a look at the BMS connection boards from Zero-EV:
https://zero-ev.co.uk/product/tesla-model-s-x-battery-module-replacement-bms-board/
https://zero-ev.co.uk/product/tesla-model-s-x-battery-module-replacement-bms-board-v1/

0 Likes 0 ·
geomz avatar image geomz boekel ♦ commented ·

@Boekel, any links on where Tom's BMS work is being done/sold? All I've found is a github link for the code.

From the above discussion, he's developing a full function BMS that interfaces directly with the original connections on the modules?

For these units I'd been considering an Orion BMS, so that break-out board replacement you linked to is great, since it's a direct plug-in :)

Any idea of cost of Tom's solution?

0 Likes 0 ·
geomz avatar image geomz geomz commented ·

Found it :)

Looks like it's mostly Tom's posts on diyelectriccar

Here it is, if it's of value to others,

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-tesla-vw-outlander-bms-master-198263.html#/topics/198263

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ geomz commented ·

correct. Tom's board is €300 plus tax (if applicable)

0 Likes 0 ·
geomz avatar image geomz commented ·

Please note that 25.6 is way too high for these modules. 25.2 is the max they should be charged at, and even that should be avoided. Is that a typo or am missing something? :)

I personally would not charge those modules above 80% capacity of around 23.8, (they will last longer and gives one a wider margin of error in case of mishaps) but 24.6 should be perfectly fine for near-full capacity.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ geomz commented ·

Thank you!!! that was a typo (on the 'float' charge voltage)

I've edited the post.

I agree: lower voltage = more life.

When using for storing solar the charged voltage isn't kept long, so then I have less problems with it. (on backup system's I also use a lower voltage)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic