question

john-strein avatar image
john-strein asked

IP22 Charger gets really hot!

Recently hooked up an IP22/30 charger and it worked great but it got really HOT. Too hot to place one's hand on the case. Obviously the case is a huge heat sink but is this level of hot normal? I think I could faintly here a fan running but it was so quiet and moved so little air I can't be sure a fan really was running. So, it this normal?

bluesmart ip22
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·
In which orientation do you have it mounted, how long has it been running at 30A and what size battery are you charging when you observe this?
0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@john strein

Hard to say. Is the ambient temperature also high?

The unit does have an over temperature shutdown feature so if it is getting too hot for operation it will protect itself.

It does have a low rpm fan by design

Cooling Low rpm (silent) fan (12/15 and 24/08 are without fan)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cpt-pat avatar image
cpt-pat answered ·

I have two of the 30 amp models. They too get too hot to touch at 30 amps output. But I've had them in service now for 8 months running at one-half (15 amps) output with no problems and no reduction in output (due to temperature compensation). Ambient temps are no higher than 22 degrees C (72 degrees "American"). I agree, the case temperature is disturbing.

Instead of mounting the chargers flush against a surface, I placed 12 mm (1/2 inch) spacers between the case back and the mounting surface to provide some convection airflow, which helps.

2 |3000