question

sv-alchemy avatar image
sv-alchemy asked

Multiplus 12 VDC 3000 Kva charge at float too high?

Hello, I have the Multiplus 12 VDC 3000 kva charger on a steel sailboat. I have six L16 sized FLA batteries (1185 Ah capacity) with "hydrocaps". I usually keep close to full charge and always above 75% SoC (I have 540W of solar going through an Outback Flexmax 60). My system monitoring is both the Victron app to a small computer and a Pentametric box going to a shunt. I am set up for "Adaptive Charging (with Battery Safe)" and have ticked off "Storage" as my DC draws are very minimal over the winter, basically just enough to run the Pentametric monitor.

I have recently watered the batteries. All contacts appear clean. They read at 100% SoC as per both the Pentametric "Battery % Full" switch and via the Victron app via the dongle, although I realize that is probably less.

When plugging in at the shipyard over this winter (just at 12 or so amps via a construction-grade extension cord), I have gone from Bulk to Absorption quite quickly, but after half an hour or so at 14.8 VDC, which seems too high for my liking as I can hear a small amount of gassing off from the bank, I go to Float, but Float measures at 14.3 VDC. This, after another half-hour, goes to 13.8 VDC and then, some minutes later, down to 13.5 or 13.6 VDC.

The next day, with no charge on and the solar panels off, I will read 13.1 or 13.2 VDC. The ambient temperature in the boat ranges from about -5C to +5C.

Do I have a problem? I have never seen the charger on Float with that high a voltage, although the current is usually well under 10 amps. Thank you.

battery system voltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @SV Alchemy,

this is most likely due to temperature compensation, which I think is 16mV/°C for a 12V battery.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sv-alchemy avatar image
sv-alchemy answered ·

Compensation because I am set for storage and it's cold? I don't actually have a temperature module running to the Victron. I do have one running to the Outback solar MPPT box. Thanks. Didn't notice such high float voltages last winter, however, and the only difference is we are not under a roof this year, so, if switched on, the panels are providing a reasonable amount of juice.

1 comment
2 |3000

Because of cold temperatures. The set voltages for Absorption and Float are referenced at 25°C. Please find attached the temperature compensation chart for your MultiPlus (it's actually in the manual, Appendix F).

Are you sure the temperature sensor supplied with the MultiPlus is not wired to the battery minus pole?

bildschirmfoto-2022-02-22-um-210657.png

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic