question

sesshoumaru avatar image
sesshoumaru asked

Cable thickness for Quattro II

This is probably the 100ths question about battery cables, but I just want to be sure.
According to spec the Quattro II 48|5000|70 can deliver about 4000W from the battery bank. With about 50V thats means we are talking of about 80A.

The menual suggested 70mm² cables, but those are outlandish to work with. My three phase system now uses 35mm² cables (30cm to 100cm) to connect to the busbars, which are rated for 600A. From each busbar two short (30cm) 70mm² cables are running (8 pylontech US2000C units).

As far as I read the 35mm² ables should be able to hadle about 130A and the 70mm² about 245A.
Does this all sound legit for you? By the way... the cables are running though a thick (25cm) wireway - the manual says this is not desired, but I actually never saw a system not using a wireway...

PS: I put 125A circut breakers in the pathway of positive and negativ cables from Quattros to the busbar ... I am not crazy^^

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

When considering cable size its important to consider the number of strands in the cable as well as the cable dimensions. I have a Multiplus 12/3000kVa system and when I started using the recommended cable size, my issues disappeared. Consider doubling the number of positive and negative connections so that you have at least a cumulative connections of 70mm.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.