question

siwillems avatar image
siwillems asked

Wirring mppt controler into caravan

Evening,

A quick question on wiring a 100/20 solar charger controller into a caravan. My caravan has a on-board charger for when it's connected to the mains. I could wife the battery to the battery connection and the caravan to the load connection. Would the battery still charge when the caravan charger is switched on?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, it would still charge with the caravan charger on until it reaches the set target Voltage for whatever stage of charging it is at. Eg. if Absorb stage is set to 14.8V and the battery Voltage is below that, then it will charge the battery until it reaches 14.8V. The caravan charger would behave the same in its own right.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

siwillems avatar image siwillems commented ·
Thanks, just to clarify the caravan transformer / charger would charge the battery. To achieve this the f!is of current would too into the mppt controller through the load connection and then out the battery connection.

Thank,

Simon

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ siwillems commented ·
Ah, I understand the caravan charger placement now. Sorry, I missed that point.

It would not be a good idea for the caravan charger current to go in reverse through the MPPT load terminals. There terminals are designed for Loads Output and not to be used as an Input.
The caravan charger would need to be wired to charge the battery directly and then only the caravan loads can be connected at the Load Output of the MPPT.

0 Likes 0 ·