question

Eric M. avatar image
Eric M. asked

Multiplus Compact consuming from starter battery through trickle connection

I just installed a MultiPlus Compact 12/2000/80 (previous gen without the black corners) in a van build. Both house and starter batteries are 12v AGM banks.

I am attempting to use the 4amps secondary trickle charge to my starter battery - in my picture, the wire indicated by the arrow goes to the starter battery.

img-5277.jpg

The thing is, it seems that is just creating a permanent parallel connection between my starter and house batteries. When the engine is running, that wire is pulling massive amperage from my alternator, into my house batteries, through the MultiPlus. It doesn't matter if the MultiPlus is on/off or any mode, I've measured that starter trickle wire carrying up to 40amps into the MultiPlus, charging my house batteries. When inverting, the MultiPlus is pulling some percentage of the power from the starter battery along that wire, regardless of alternator running or not.

I have an Orion TR Smart 12/12 - 30 that was working previously, charging the house batteries at the set charge profile , with engine off detection. However, now the starter to house connection seems permanently active through the MultiPlus trickle connection.

1. Am I connecting the trickle wire to the right post in the MultiPlus?

2. Should the MultiPlus allow energy flow from the alternator/starter battery into the unit?

3. Is there some sort of setting to disable this connection unless the MultiPlus is actually pushing a charge to the starter?

This may be the same issue as:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/25252/multiplus-trickle-charge-connection-depletes-the-s.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/9660/multiplus-compact-second-battery-connection-charge.html

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
img-5277.jpg (1.1 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

This is definitely not the trickle charge connection this is just the other side of the fuse.

Please look into the manual again.

J11 (upside down) in the middle of the fuse in your picture should be the trickle charge.

@Eric M.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Eric M. avatar image Eric M. commented ·

Matthias, thank you! That configuration did seem a little odd. Used unit, came with no manual, but turns out this installation video led me astray.

screen-shot-2022-02-16-at-15608-pm.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Z67B0YM2s

Where he goes on to describe that aux terminal as the starter battery trickle post. This may be the cause of others' woes as well...

I appreciate the quick answer!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Eric M. commented ·
By the way, the manual is downloadable.
0 Likes 0 ·