question

mvelden avatar image
mvelden asked

What does the relay of my BHV battery monitor do?

I have a question about my Victron BHV 702 battery monitor with shunt that connects the (negative pole of the) batteries to the (boat) system. The manual mentions the possibility for settings that trigger a relais / relay to be disconnected or (with setting reversed) connected. Does that mean that indeed all the power to the system will be disconnected or connected? Maybe obvious, but I want be sure….Many thanks for reply, Michael

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi,

The relay does not control all the power to your system, it's only intended to control another larger contactor or trigger another signal somewhere.

This relay can be used as an alarm relay, start a generator or more

The relay has potential free contacts (like on/off switch). The battery monitor will drive the relay and the relay will make or break contact between these two contacts accordingly.

The small relay contacts are located on the back of the BMV head unit.

A good way to experiment with the options available is to load up the demo mode of VictronConnect, Select the BMV, and then go into the relay settings and have a play around.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wobby avatar image wobby commented ·
I’ve a motorhome with this setup but no separate generator or power source to charge the battery does that mean I can leave the relay setting off.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvelden avatar image
mvelden answered ·

Ok clear, thanks for your quick answer !!!

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If you download the Victron Connect app, go into demo mode and select your BMV, you'll be able to see the options for switching the relay.
0 Likes 0 ·