question

dave-eisen avatar image
dave-eisen asked

Recovering from multiple issues (battery drain, low voltage disconnect, inverters reset)....

Hello all,

Been chasing some gremlins after a quick shakedown run of my RV with two Multiplusses, 6 Battleborn batteries wired for 24 volts..can provide exact details later.

It all started when we attempted to run our washer dryer on purely off our inverters/batteries which worked fine until we left the RV while the dryer was running. It basically draining the batteries to the point of getting to their low voltage disconnect mode (which I learned about here), and everything went crazy.

I started with troubleshooting my transfer switch since my generator was not connecting to charge anything up, and messed with the settings for my inverters since they kept reading low voltage, even though the batteries kept saying they were full on my monitor. Found out how to restart my batteries, but when I turn my inverters on, they quickly drain the batteries down to zero, like within a few minutes.

I am currently running only off DC power until I can get some assistance either from this group or from the technician who helped with my install a couple years ago. Any idea what I need to do with my inverters so they don't drain my batteries?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Have you been able to really recharge the batteries, or is the reading showing a false 100%? Monitors often start at 100% after a disconnect.

0 Likes 0 ·
dave-eisen avatar image dave-eisen kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

I’m thinking that I’ve been seeing false 100’s but the last couple of days has been full sun so I’m sure my battery percentage is accurate now after I’d wakened up each battery’s bms.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·
  1. When you ordered from BB, did you specify that you planned to series connect the batteries?
  2. Prior to installation, did you fully charge each individual 12V before putting in series for 24V?
  3. Have you routinely been disconnecting the 12V and individually charging them to full every three months ("How to Maintain the Batteries" section), OR do you have a battery balancer installed?
  4. The 12V batteries forming 24V should have nearly identical voltages. Are yours nearly identical at both the upper and lower limits of operation?

BB batteries do not internally balance until they reach 14.2V. If they do not reach 14.2V regularly, they can go out of balance resulting in substantial capacity loss. I recently encountered someone getting about 56Ah out of their 100Ah battery. After floating it at 14.2V for a couple weeks, capacity returned to about 91Ah.

Normally, you should be charging to 28.8V and floating at 27.2V.

Assuming you have a BMV, your charged criteria should be about 26.9V and 5%.

If you find that you have mismatched 12V votlages, break bank down and charge all to full @ 14.4V.

If your batteries are not regularly charged above 14.2V, you may need to float your bank for an extended period at a voltage sufficient to ensure all batteries in series are at 14.2V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.