question

jengstro avatar image
jengstro asked

MPPT PPV value (SolarPower in Watts) via VE direct, is empty

Using 100/50. I wonder why the PVP field does not even have a number in the UART/RX response? How is it for others out there?

(raw snip, first 64 bytes) PPV [blank]

"xA057 FW    159 SER#    HQ20469GHCM V    12740 I    1400 VPV    76560 PPV PID    0"

In case you wonder why only 64bytes... had to use softwareserial.h -> and the RX buffer is just 64 bytes, there is no way to read buffer fast enough (WemosD1) to come over this limit. To increase buffer, not easy. I actually wonder why Victron did not build pull method with TX channel -> "give me result of x". Now its bombarding/transmitting every second. Not so elegant to read and parse stuff from tabs and line feeds etc.

VE.Busarduino
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jengstro avatar image
jengstro answered ·

Hmmm.. now I got 0, and some values. Perhaps this is Arduino UART rx glitch. Still strange, watts here are not the same as looking from Android app via bluetooth.

"xA057 FW    159 SER#    HQ20469GHCM V    11070 I    0 VPV    14140 PPV    0 PID    0x"
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

If you communicate with the VE direct hex protocol, you can request individual values. But even so, 64bits for a receive buffer is very small. The use of the hex protocol is supposed to stop the ASCII messages for about 1s, but lately, this does not seem to happen. The VE direct protocol can be downloaded from the Victron MPPT product page.

2 |3000

jengstro avatar image
jengstro answered ·

I inspected the transmit burst from VE direct with oscilloscope... it is ~1 second interval, the data burst is taking ~48ms. Luckily the first 64 bytes contains most important stuff (for me). I still wonder the PPV watt numbers what are coming out vs mobile BT app.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is VE.Bus?

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic