question

jonathanpereira avatar image
jonathanpereira asked

MPPT 100/20 No Load Output

I am connecting my 100/20 MPPT to three Longi LR6-72HBD-375M solar panels in parallel. My battery is 24V. The green light on the MPPT is ON (steady). The jumper link is connected between pins 1 & 2.

There is still no load voltage at the MPPT pins when I connect a Victron Inverter 24/1200 to it.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I think the load output is shutting down due to a short circuit detection because the inverter has a high inrush current.

The MPPT can only handle 20A, if you use the full power of the inverter it needs 40-50A and thicker cables as you can get into the connections of the MPPT.

If you want to control the inverter via the MPPT you have to use the remote control of the inverter and connect the inverter directly to the battery like it is shown in the manual of the MPPT.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_75-10_up_to_100-20/en/features.html#UUID-114c425f-458e-0da1-2107-d75935b3e4d1

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Sometimes a diagram is useful.

inverter.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
inverter.jpg (87.0 KiB)
jonathanpereira avatar image jonathanpereira commented ·

@Matthias Lange - DE @klim8skeptic I connected the 24/1200 Inverter to the 100/20 MPPT controller as shown in the image attached by @klim8skeptic. i.e. the right side connection of the remote control of the Inverter goes to the +ve of the Load output of the MPPT (I did not use the special interface cable. I just connected a wire directly between them)

. The inverter DC input supply is connected directly to the battery terminals.

But the inverter still does not turn ON?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ jonathanpereira commented ·

Check the manual of the inverter again, if you have a VE.direct Phoenix it should be the left contact.

The Phoenix itself is turned ON?

The picture from @klim8skeptic shows the old Phoenix inverter (with metal case), but the text says what I wrote above.

0 Likes 0 ·
jonathanpereira avatar image jonathanpereira Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
It works on the left contact.

• Do I need to connect the load pins of the MPPT to the inverter inputs also?
  • When the jumper link is connected between pins 1 & 2 for a 24V battery, at what voltage does it stop the load from discharging the battery?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ jonathanpereira commented ·
Again, please read the manual.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Manual_SmartSolar_MPPT_75-10_up_to_100-20/en/configuration-and-settings.html#UUID-0e24edd3-2ffe-6a04-c067-7e6c5475ad4f

If you have a SmartSolar MPPT I would recommend to use the VictronConnect app to change the settings.

0 Likes 0 ·