question

thisissam avatar image
thisissam asked

Trickle Charge Cable Sizing

The MultiPlus 2kVA 120V includes a connection (+) for charging a starter battery. That connection supplies 1A to the starter bank.

When I am calculating the appropriate conductor size, do I assume that the current in the circuit is just 1A?

Is it therefore reasonable that I would use an 18AWG/1mm² cable for my TR-charge cable or have I missed something?

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

Yes. Per awg charts, 26awg would work too, depending on length of cable run.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thisissam avatar image
thisissam answered ·

Thanks @snoobler ! It looks like the wire size calculator that I was using does not make recommendations below 18 AWG but looking at the charts I can see how you came to 26AWG (cable run length permitting).

I will go with 16AWG. It will be oversized for ampacity and voltage drop but according to the ABYC 16AWG is the smallest gauge that I should run outside of a protective sheath.

Thanks for your help!

2 |3000

Related Resources