question

timharper avatar image
timharper asked

Multiplus II Horizontal mount

I have a client who fitting a Microbus with a small PV system and a 12/3000 Multiplus II. Considering the very limited space, the location he plans to mount his horizontally. Looking at the chassis of the inverter, it is clear that it was designed for flow through bottom vents and out the top. The manual does not say specifically the unit must be mounted vertically. He has taken every precaution and has large bottom and top holes in his cabinet for air flow through the area. Horizontal is not ideal but from a warranty perspective is this unit at risk?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

The manual states that it can be mounted horizontally or vertically and that vertical is preferred for better cooling performance.
1644073522401.png

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-MultiPlus-II-12V-24V-48V-3k,-5k,-8k,-10k-230V-EN-NL-FR-DE-FI-SV.pdf

1644073522401.png (15.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pontus avatar image
pontus answered ·

I have have the same issue. Limited space in a sailboat, therefore considering a horizontal mount.

But I can't still figure out how that would be possible. On my unit 3 kW@48 V the hooks seems to be fixed at the "top" of the unit. Even by looking at the Appendix page 134 in the above mentioned PDF I cant get my head around this.

Can someone please enlighten me?

1 comment
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Multiplus II 3000/48 also has two mounting holes (through-holes) at the bottom.

If you hook it on top and then use two screws/bolts on the bottom holes, it will be secured in place, even in a horizontal position.

1 Like 1 ·
sac-rv avatar image
sac-rv answered ·

I have mine mounted horizontally and occasionally it would get too hot when charging (110-amps in). So I connected a 4" USB fan to the Cerbo GX USB port and face it towards to bottom of the Multiplus-II. The key is to let the fan run 24/7 so as it heats up its already working at cooling it down.

Here's a link to the fan. https://amzn.to/3H7Bgyt

img-2279.jpg

img-2279.jpg (2.3 MiB)
2 |3000

fcbrants avatar image
fcbrants answered ·

I Googled "can a victron quattro ii be mounted horizontally" & this post was offered as an answer. I rechecked the Quatro-II manual (assuming I had missed the "The device can be fitted either horizontally or vertically" bit), but found that last statement missing from the Quattro-II manual: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Quattro-II_12-24V_3kVA_2x_120V/32424-MultiPlus-II___Quattro-II_120V-230V-pdf-en.pdf?ref=wp Page 10.

2 |3000