question

scubacollie avatar image
scubacollie asked

Victron Solar Panel Wiring

Hi All, I'm about to purchase the 175W Victron Mono Solar Panel.

2 questions...

1 what size is the wiring coming out of the solar panel? I need to purchase more wiring to reach the rear of the van (panel going at front of long wheel baser Fiat Ducato and batteries at rear of van) and I was going to purchase 6mm size cable, however depending on size of cable coming out of panel, because I'd it's only 4mm coming out, then it's pointless purchasing 6mm cable to connect to that?

2. I'm assuming there is cable coming out of it? Do I have to purchase special Victron cables to lengthen it, or can I just cut the connectors off the ends and crimp any type of solar cable to it to extend it, as i need to route behind wall panels in a van and would be a lot easier without any connections on the end of it!!??

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The cable is 4mm² and about 900mm long with standard MC4 connectors.

Using 6mm² from the Panel to the MPPT can make sense to reduce power loses but it depends on the cable length, how many panels you use and how they are wired together (parallel or series).

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

scubacollie avatar image scubacollie commented ·
Many Thanks mate, length will be approx 3.5 meters, with 1 x 175W panel.

Would it be better to wire in 6mm? Can the 4mm be disconnected from the panel and new 6mm connected from the panel onwards?

Sorry for all the questions but don't have the panel yet therfore don't know what the connection on the back of the label looks like I. E is it hard wired into the panel or via a termination housing/terminal?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ scubacollie commented ·

No point in trying to remove the existing cables, might damage your warranty as well. You'll need the MC4 connectors for the solar controller. No difference in the connectors for 4/6mm wire. So either buy made up extension cables (in 6mm as suggested by @Matthias Lange - DE ) or get the correct 6mm solar cable, connectors and a crimper and make your own up. Plenty of videos on youtube showing how to do this. Greg Virgoe's is good.

Make sure you get a panel with enough voltage. MPPT controllers need actual battery voltage +5 before charging starts.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic