question

frasinburg avatar image
frasinburg asked

Fronius Primo 5.0.1 voltage pulsating problem after new firmware (MicroGrid Multiplus 5000)

screenshot-2022-02-05-at-095222.png

-------------------------------------

UPDATE!

The problem was the new Fronius Primo firmware version! All you have MG50 setup coupled with Victron inverters please avoid doing firmware update to Fronius inverters to fro32482.upd version, or ask Fronius to downgrade to a version from late 2020 via SolarWeb interface.

-------------------------------------

I have a big problem with a Micro Grid system (OffGrid, Multi 48/5000 with Fronius Primo 5.0.1) MG50.
A few days ago I did a firmware update on Fronius and since then the AC voltage fluctuates a lot (see the image on the attached graph).

At 12:11 I did a firmware update on Fronius and since then the AC voltage is very unstable.

The inverters also make a pulsating sound.
The Multiplus has latest firmware version 2624494, Fronius Primo has the firmware version fro32482.upd (inverter), 3.20.6-1 (data source).

Please help me, it fluctuates so much that the light bulbs in the house flicker when I start the Fronius.
When only MultiPlus works then everything is ok.

Does anyone have an old Fronius Primo 5.0.1 firmware version? The new one completely ruined my system.

Thank You!

Fronius
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
You forgot to mention what firmware the GX is running?
0 Likes 0 ·
frasinburg avatar image frasinburg klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Color Control GX Firmware: v2.82~2

(Yesterday I did a firmware update for Color Control GX, but even with the old version and with this new one, the problem persists.)

0 Likes 0 ·
12 Answers
sunnyday333 avatar image
sunnyday333 answered ·

Hi @frasinburg

ok, I will ask fronius support tommorow, which version of firmware it can be and then I will send it to you.

12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

frasinburg avatar image frasinburg commented ·
Thank you very much!!! :)
0 Likes 0 ·
sunnyday333 avatar image sunnyday333 frasinburg commented ·

Here you are. Can you try it?

fro31330.upd.zip

0 Likes 0 ·
fro31330upd.zip (11.1 MiB)
frasinburg avatar image frasinburg sunnyday333 commented ·
I will try!

Thank you a lot!

0 Likes 0 ·
sunnyday333 avatar image sunnyday333 frasinburg commented ·
Hi @frasinburg

is it better, or you need other FW?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
frasinburg avatar image frasinburg sunnyday333 commented ·

Hello @sunnyday333

Thanks so much for the firmware!

When I tried to install it, I realized that Fronius had downgraded the firmware about an hour before. So I stopped using it and in the meantime I got sick of Covid19 :(

But YES, the problem was the new Fronius Primo firmware version! All you have MG50 setup coupled with Victron inverters please avoid doing firmware update to Fronius inverters to fro32482.upd version.

My system works now very smooth :D

Thank you guys for helping me!

0 Likes 0 ·
smokingbro avatar image smokingbro frasinburg commented ·
Hi frasinburg, Can you please advise what firmware Fronius downgraded too? In a similar situation being MG50 offgrid and was about to upgrade...
0 Likes 0 ·
popnic avatar image popnic commented ·
@sunnyday333

Have the same voltage fluctuation issue in my micro grid setup when is offgrid and the energy produced by inverter is close to the energy consumed by the load

In my attempt to change the firmware from 33151 to 31330 of my Fronius Primo 5 I got error 743 - firmware update error and 735 - firmware does not match with the device or firmware too old.

Is there other firmware available that can solve this issue?

50 Hz, 230V, Romania, Europe

0 Likes 0 ·
sunnyday333 avatar image sunnyday333 popnic commented ·

Hi @popnic ,

Nowadays I'm running this FW without any problem in my MG50 setup:

fro32071.upd.zip

you can try it.

If you have any problem with the Fronius inverter don't hesitate to contact Fronius support, they will also help you with the correct firmware without any problem.

2 Likes 2 ·
fro32071upd.zip (8.8 MiB)
popnic avatar image popnic sunnyday333 commented ·

Hello @sunnyday333

Thank you for reply and tank you for the firmware file.

Unfortunately the firmware is still not accepted by my Primo.

Error messages are the same #743 and #735 as with previous firmware.

BTW My Primo serial number is 33328136

Contacting Fronius it should be the right way, it should be easy and simple but...

I'tl Fronius site direct me to a local agreed installer who don't answer the phone, and other installer says that is taking care only for installations he made.

Finally I got one distributor/installer who want to help me but I think that he will charge me for that.

I am wondering how the Fronius support is working in other countries. Maybe it works fine also here. Maybe I am doing something wrong...

Thank you again.

0 Likes 0 ·
popnic avatar image popnic sunnyday333 commented ·
@sunnyday333

Finally after 5 days, Fronius PV Support team contacted me to ask me to restart the Inverter. In their web app i see under Settings > Components that they fail to upload the firmware.

Next day, they failed again and the technician send me the fro32070.upd file.

fro32070. upd or fro32071.upd ar not accepted by this Primo showing #743 and #735.

Hope that Fronius team will solve the problem soon. New firmware development can take months.

0 Likes 0 ·
mgstrad avatar image mgstrad popnic commented ·

Hi, I'm in the same boat and was wondering what your solution was? Did you find the correct firmware or did Fronius sort if? If so which firmware are you currently using?

0 Likes 0 ·
scraggs avatar image scraggs sunnyday333 commented ·

@sunnyday333 Thanks for this
I updated to the latest firmware the other day and had huge trouble, I spoke to Fronius who said they would get back to me and never did.
Version fro32071 has fixed the problem.
Rather disappointing that Fronius are putting this out without thorough testing though.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@frasinburg

I do not know what changes in Fronius settings after FW update, but did you check if Fronius is still setup the way it was before the last update?

Is it still at MG50?

6 comments
2 |3000

frasinburg avatar image frasinburg commented ·

Yes, Fronius settings are unchanged - MG50.

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp frasinburg commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
frasinburg avatar image frasinburg marekp commented ·
I try and come back!

thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·
frasinburg avatar image frasinburg marekp commented ·
Our Fronius Primo is produced in 2020.
0 Likes 0 ·
@frasinburg

You performed the FW update, so the original FW was replaced.

Are you sure that the new FW is of that "flickerfree" variety?

I do not know, just asking.

Maybe contacting Fronius service is good idea now.

0 Likes 0 ·
frasinburg avatar image
frasinburg answered ·

UPDATE!

Fronius firmware reinstalled and selected again MG50.

Nothing helps :(

Does anyone have an old Fronius Primo 5.0.1 firmware version? Maybe i can restore the system.

1 comment
2 |3000

Frank avatar image Frank commented ·

did you get the voltage flicker to stop , as im having same issue

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

@frasinburg

I would suggest contacting Fronius service.

2 |3000

sunnyday333 avatar image
sunnyday333 answered ·

Hi @frasinburg ,

I want to ask if you managed to solve the described problem?

2 |3000

frasinburg avatar image
frasinburg answered ·

Hello,

I was not able to solve the problem, but the problem definitely appears from Fronius Primo 5.0.1 (MG50 setup) after the last firmware update because I tried with another inverter (other than my MultiPlus) and the voltage fluctuates as well. I asked the Fronius dealer to get me an older firmware version but I still haven't answered.

I don't know what to do, it fluctuates between 210v and 260v.

2 |3000

sunnyday333 avatar image
sunnyday333 answered ·

Hi @frasinburg ,

Today, the fronius service downgraded my firmware to version fro32450.upd to see if it helped, but voltage peaks are still present in offgrid mode :(

2 |3000

frasinburg avatar image
frasinburg answered ·

I think this firmware version is still too new, that's probably why it still has problems. I used the inverter with the firmware version end-2020 only off-grid and it worked very well, but there is no log dated with the firmware versions and the changes made by fronius.

2 |3000

sunnyday333 avatar image
sunnyday333 answered ·

Hi @frasinburg,

Can you tell me exactly which firmware version you have deployed? I can ask directly from the fronius service center and then send it to you.

2 |3000

frasinburg avatar image
frasinburg answered ·

Hi @sunnyday333

Now I have the fro32482.upd version (it's the one that's causing problems) but I don't know what version I had before, it was definitely from the end of 2020, before they made changes to the MG50 setup.

Thank You!

2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi All

Installed a Fimer inverter no issues with flicker at all. when setup for off grid mode.

I have a have Fronius Primo as well flicked real bad in MG50 mode with new software update fro 33350 which had MG50-60 fixes didnt not work at all worse than ever?

Regards

Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

scraggs avatar image scraggs commented ·

@Rob Duthie I uploaded 33350 to my Primo 8.2 yesterday and have had nothing but trouble since, lights flashing and garage door randomly stopping.

It appears to happen when the solar PV watts on the Fronius is around the same as the AC out, there is also another issue with a very weird kind of buzzer when an array is isolated and then turned back on.
I have had this mildly with the light with the previous firmware now and then but nothing like this.
I have spoken to Fronius today about it and they are now looking into it, I have asked about doing a rollback as I am going to have to leave the Fronius turned off until solar is well above ac use.

0 Likes 0 ·
20221123-115943.mp4 (13.3 MiB)
angus-parkinson avatar image
angus-parkinson answered ·

Hi @sunnyday333

You don't happen to have fro30310.upd that you could share, please?

Thanks.

5 comments
2 |3000

Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie commented ·

Hi Yes i do. Version 32070 is OK

0 Likes 0 ·
angus-parkinson avatar image angus-parkinson Rob Duthie commented ·
I am chasing this particular version because I recently upgraded from it and have been getting poor performance ever since. I just want to get back to where I was. If you have it can you share it with me, please?

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image Rob Duthie angus-parkinson commented ·
Hi

What version are you using now?

0 Likes 0 ·
angus-parkinson avatar image angus-parkinson Rob Duthie commented ·

I have downgraded to the earliest one from above fro31330.upd

0 Likes 0 ·
smueff1970 avatar image smueff1970 angus-parkinson commented ·
Hi i tried also to downgrade, but i got an error that the firmware is to old (735). How did you do the downgrade ? Thanks
0 Likes 0 ·