question

Jeffrey Wildrick avatar image
Jeffrey Wildrick asked

712 resets to 100% by voltage instead is amps in/out

9d4f0167-17a7-43de-8167-cb03146f054e.png I am charging 2, 6 volt flooded batteries wired in serial, using a 200 W Renogy solar suitcase. The problem is that almost immediately upon getting bright sunshine, the state of charge increases to 100% from wherever it was. It looks like it is determining this by voltage rather than Counting amps in and amps out. So I never really know how full the battery is. I’ve seen other posts on this thread, to be honest, are too technical for me to understand. The 712 counts amps out properly, but if the batteries are not actually full to start then the SOC is going to be wrong. So I never really know how full the battery is. I’ve seen other posts on this forum that, to be honest, are too technical for me to understand. My batteries are 230 Ah. The charge controller on the solar panels is set to flooded batteries. Is it possible to coordinate the state of charge with amps rather than some particular voltage? The more basic the answer you can give, the more helpful it will be! How would you suggest I change my settings?

SOCsolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

Sorry, we need more information.

Do you have 2x230 Ah 6V batteries?

What are the charging parameters from the battery maker?

What charging current is the 712 showing in bulk and absorption?

If you can, the charging and battery settings from the solar suitcase.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nebulight avatar image
nebulight answered ·

Your charged voltage looks way too low, which is why it's syncing to 100%. The monitor will sync to 100% when your battery hits 13.2v AND your current is less than 9.2 amps for 3 minutes.

For flooded lead acid, you should set the charge voltage to around 14.4-14.5 depending on what charge voltage you are set at. Rule of thumb is .2v lower than what you set your absorption voltage to.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic