question

Steve Mullins avatar image
Steve Mullins asked

BMV reporting incorrect high voltage

My 4 Battleborn Lithium batteries were in storage and disconnected for the past 3 months. I connected them today and turned on my Victron Multiplus. However I am having issues with the DC Voltage. When I read the voltage directly on each battery as well as the bank itself, they all register 12.8V. However the BMV 700 is reporting 14.3V and I am getting a High Voltage intermittently. When I attempt to turn on my furnace on my travel trailer, I then get a Low Voltage alarm and the furnace cannot draw enough 12volt power and shuts down. The Multiplus shows absorption mode and does not appear to be charging. What would cause the BMV to report the incorrect voltage, and how can I correct this?

1643832524872.png

BMV Battery Monitor
1643832524872.png (21.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Absorption means charging/trying to charge.

I think you're seeing the charging voltage from the multiplus at 14.33V.

If your wiring is good, you should see this at the batteries in absorption. But zero current. Suggest you check for connectivity/wiring continuity between the multi and batteries. Perhaps a fuse blown, or isolator still off.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Steve Mullins avatar image Steve Mullins commented ·
Thanks.. I think I tracked it down to a faulty Main Switch. I Blue Sea cut off switch doesn't seem to be passing the voltage through it.. I will have to take it apart and/or replace it to make sure. The BMV positive is past the switch. I might move it to before any switch...

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Steve Mullins commented ·
If it's a faulty main switch, better to replace.
0 Likes 0 ·