question

thtruck avatar image
thtruck asked

Why is it necessary to have a firmware updated mppt to use victron connect?

The title is the question. I had to do a settingchange on my mppt's but i could not connect to them with victron connect without updating the firmware first which was a bit annoying i must say. Luckily i had internet available but i can imagen situations i wouldn't have internet. In that case i could not have made the changes. Why the firmware needs to connect with victron connect? What if i just don't want to update?

MPPT Controllers
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bathnm avatar image bathnm commented ·
Unfortunately Victron add capabilities to Victron Connect that in order work work needs firmeware update on the device to be interacted with. This is clearly outlines in the release notes.

In the release notes against each product impacted, there is one of three categories, no firmeware update, optional firmeware update, mandated firmware update.

If an update of Victron Connect has triggered a mandated firmeware update and you are unable or not wanting the update, you can always revert back to an earlier release of Victron Connect

To do a firmeware update you do not need internet access. All the latest firmeware versions needed and work with the Version Of Victron connect on your device, are already on teh device and stored within the Victron Connect app.

If you have a working system and do not need any new features than do not upgrade Victron Connect, or be aware that in doing so you may need to do firmeware updates so that those features can work.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
thtruck avatar image thtruck bathnm commented ·
In this case i only wanted to change the floatvoltage. I see no need to update the device first for doing only that. Normally i update as soon as possible and all the devices have the latest firmware and updates but i think i should connect to the mppt's without being forced to update.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi all, I have some good news on this: we have recently changed our policy around making firmware updates mandatory.

It used to be that, when in doubt, we'd made the update a forced one. And especially the Bluetooth interface in a Victron product: force update that to the latest one always. Which from interoperability point of view has certain advantages.

The new policy: don't do any force updating, unless really necessary. And recently we did again decide to make the update of the bluetooth controller are forced one. Reason being that in that firmware was a fix for a bug that caused (some) people to have to power cycle their SmartShunt, or SolarCharger for getting its bluetooth working again. And user having to power cycle such a hard-wired device is so invasive, and complex for many non-technical people, that I decided to force that update through. And yes I know its annoying.

With regards to making configuration changes in the settings, also there we used to be rather strict, same thing - interoperability. And decided to relax that, and instead spend more time on making sure VictronConnect works with multiple versions. EDIT: for now, its still necessary to update to the latest version to be able to change settings. To allow earlier versions needs work - which is on the list.

And as such, slow development a bit - but there is no way around this anymore.

Hope this bit of inside info helps - have a good day/evening. Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thtruck avatar image thtruck commented ·
Great! @mvader (Victron Energy) Thank you very much.
0 Likes 0 ·
elvis avatar image
elvis answered ·

If there is no internet connection then it wont know there is an update. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 comment
2 |3000

Still. Imo the user/owner should decide to update or not. Not the machine.
0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You dont need an internet connection. The updates are stored within Victron Connect app.

9 comments
2 |3000

Right. And one needs the victronconnect app to adjust the mppt. But do you mean that i have to disconnect internet first to avoid the mandatory firmware?

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ thtruck commented ·
As soon as you update the VictronConnect app on your device you have all the latest FW files on your device and to change settings you always have to update first.
0 Likes 0 ·
thtruck avatar image thtruck Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
That maybe the case but if i only want to change the floatvoltage it is not necessary to have the latest firmware. The whole post is about that. I bought the device. It is mine. I want to use it anyway i like and want. Even if it is not updated.
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ thtruck commented ·
Putting on my (now retired) software developer/manager hat, this isn't practical. You'd have to code every single parameter against the different firmware versions. This would lead to big code size increases and an unreliable system.
0 Likes 0 ·
thtruck avatar image thtruck kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

It is not practical to be forced updating a mppt for only changing the floatvoltage. As a developer you got to have the purpose of the user in mind. The mppt works as a charm and the update is not of immediately need. Or should not even be if the earlier update was ok enough which it was. This is like bill gates forcing you to use a new os which he doesn't. At least not as fast as i have to do now with new firmware for my mppt's. There should be a workaround the forced updates.

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ thtruck commented ·
But there is. Don't update the app. automatically.
0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ thtruck commented ·
The app and the MPPT work as a system and sometimes a firmware update is required in order for the new features of the system to work.

The work around is to not update the VictronConnect app on your device. If you leave VictronConnect at the version that you are happy with then don't upgrade it. This way you not need to do surprise firmware updates. If you update one half of the system and not the other then you have conflicting requirements and then the app and the MPPT would not marry up.
0 Likes 0 ·
thtruck avatar image thtruck wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Ok. That is a solution i can work with. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
The system / half system is a nice explanation @WKirby !
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I have run into a forced update several times. It's generally when I'm in a hurry to do something quickly and I have to wait for the update.

We should have the choice of updating or not.

2 |3000