question

filfar avatar image
filfar asked

BMV700 & starter battery

I have a solar system in my motorhome going to an odyssey pc1800 battery & have BMV700 monitor. There’s a cytron cyrix ct intelligent battery combiner between the starter and pc1800 allowing charge to go both ways.

I’ve had system 5 years no issues. But recently (in cold weather) started battery has run flat (below 8 volts) and van wouldn’t start. This has happened twice. The BMV700 was showing a voltage of 7.75.

Here’s my issue, the BMV700 seems to be displaying the starter voltage. As normally even through the winter when van unused there’s always a small charge and ive never see a lower voltage than about 11.75. Then my starter goes flat and voltage displayed is 7.75. The guy who I talked assured me the bmv is/should be monitoring the leisure battery -which doesn’t seem low all. Lights good all history seems good etc.

What’s going on? Any pointers appreciated!

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

A BMV-700 can only monitor one battery. It should be wired to the leisure battery with the shunt in the negative and the little red wire going to the positive of the leisure battery. There is only one connection for a little red wire on the shunt (+B1).

Now, it is possible for the BMV-700 to measure the Voltage of the starter battery if the little red wire is connected to the starter battery. Perhaps this is the reason that you are seeing starter battery Voltage displayed?

As a side note, only the BMV-702 and BMV-712 battery monitors can display the Voltage of two different batteries.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.